Libya declares ceasefire

There are numurous reasons for us not to get involved in Zimbabwe. Firstly, there would be no popular support amongst the majority of the Zimbabweans (sp?) for us to to go in - we would be seen by the vast majority as old world colonials (something which Mugabe would be more than happy to exploit). Secondly, and more practically, how would we launch attacks? From where? There are no bases for us to launch air strikes, we currently have no aircraft carriers available (and even if we did, they would carry insufficient forces to practically achieve anything) and none of Mugabe's neighbours would be likely to offer us use of their facilities for such attacks.

And then of course theres the question of what our aims would be - liberation? from whom and to who? Regime change? That's a big moral no-no, according to most of the chattering types. So what would we do there?

The whole 'it's all about oil' thing is wearing a bit thin, frankly. Have any of the critics ever sat down and thought, I mean REALLY thought about how vital oil and all the products it creates are to modern western life? You can criticise wars fought for oil all you want (and I still dont believe that oil is the primary reason for the actions in Libya) but until you start to live lives where you minimise the use of oil and it byproducts, you should probably realise how silly you sound...

Is there support from the majority of Libyans? Since you havn't held a referendum tou don't know. What are you getting at with your final comment (from but onwards - I don't see that it supports your argument in any way). Errr I don't sound silly since I am typing not speaking and you may consider it to be wearing thin but a lot of people consider it to be true that this and other wars are about oil. I'm not saying we should go into Zimbabwe by the way and never did.

visited my parents on Monday night, mum was sitting on edge of chair watching

730 report or Four Corners taking it all in.

the brainwashing that is.

a panel of five 'experts', not including the grey haired ABC presenter, debating the war in libya.

could not help notice all five were pro-war!

how can you have a debate with no opposing views?

when i mentioned to my mother the horrific/disgusting consequences of firing a 1350 kilogram missile at 550mph, with a sophisticated explosive attached, the reply went something like this.

he's a b--tard! they are trying to save the people!

the depth of brainwashing is breathtaking! congrats on doing a fab job!

the both of them sit there everynight on the edge of their chairs, watching

the 'news',taking it all in, pretty much as gospel.

so very, very sad.

thankfully, ignorance on occasions can be bliss.

tried to mention Haarp to my dad the other day,the smirk on his face told me don't even bother.

a panel of five 'experts', not including the grey haired ABC presenter, debating the war in libya.

when i mentioned to my mother the horrific/disgusting consequences of firing a 1350 kilogram missile at 550mph, with a sophisticated explosive attached, the reply went something like this.

so very, very sad.

tried to mention Haarp to my dad the other day,the smirk on his face told me don't even bother.

still waiting for the truth on whats happening over there .....son

Is there support from the majority of Libyans? Since you havn't held a referendum tou don't know. What are you getting at with your final comment (from but onwards - I don't see that it supports your argument in any way). Errr I don't sound silly since I am typing not speaking and you may consider it to be wearing thin but a lot of people consider it to be true that this and other wars are about oil. I'm not saying we should go into Zimbabwe by the way and never did.

I can say with some confidence that there is at least some support for our intervention in Libya, unless your trying to say that the uprising was created as a smokescreen by western powers?

As you clearly didnt understand the point I was making about war vs oil, there seems little point in going into it any more depth with you (incidentally that point wasnt just aimed at you, more the chattering masses who screech 'war for oil' at every opportunity)...

I can say with some confidence that there is at least some support for our intervention in Libya, unless your trying to say that the uprising was created as a smokescreen by western powers?

As you clearly didnt understand the point I was making about war vs oil, there seems little point in going into it any more depth with you (incidentally that point wasnt just aimed at you, more the chattering masses who screech 'war for oil' at every opportunity)...

I know one that supports it, runs the local kebab shop and as family in Tripoli. He’s very worried about what Gaddafi will do. He said the ones in Tripoli that appear to support Gaddafi don’t and have no choice but to show their support.

Very probably. It's certainly illegal in the US and given that laws tend to be made by politicians, it would hardly be surprising if politicians passed laws which said 'it is illegal to kill politicians.'

Obama seems to have anticipated the problem (to some extent) this time. He has already said: "The Libyan venture will not be under the command and control of the US. It will be headed by England, or by France or by NATO, but it will not be headed by the US."

In other words: "If and when it becomes time to hand out the blame, I'm having nothing to do with it. America is not going to be held responsible."For the US. Cameron may think otherwise. He did not rule out British Forces on the ground in Libya.

A wise policy on the part of our president but not as wise as would have been by staying out of Libya's troubles entirely. The US imports only about 20 percent of middle east oil anyway.

It makes me chew glass in frustration when all kinds of cutbacks are being proposed by the government, most states and cities running budget deficits, teachers being laid off by the thousands, college fees being jacked up and an anti-worker agenda being pushed by Palin and her Tea Party mob yet..... there's always millions to spare for wars somehow. There's no apparent end game to this particuar war. The civil war could go on indefinitely. Ghaddafi still has a lot of support and the bulk of the military behind him. How long before the UN starts calling for ground troops to be sent in to keep the peace? After that what? Troops being shot at, bombed, IEDs?

so very, very sad.

Couldn't agree more

I watched a TV documentry about the shooting of police woman Yvonne Fletcher and i couldn't help but wonder if it was just a coincidence that it was being aired now :suspect:

Oil Oil Oil that all this is about --

I can see the point of having a no fly zone and patrolling the air space over Libiya but why are we destroying his forces and defences??

It can only be to make sure when ground troops go in there is little or no resistance !!

Sad as it might be but a civil war is a civil war - no one is being invaded so why get involved, unless the secret services of the western powers were the original architects and quickley realised that it would not be as easy as the Egyptian or Tunisian revelution !!

No one got involved in Rawanda or the Lebanese civil war (except intrested parties such as israel and Syria and that was in their own intrests) or the numerous civil wars since 1945 so why now :suspect:

I would have more respect for the government if they would realy admit why they are getting involved ...

OIL

Just a question

If there is a ceasfire what would be the UN and Britians position if the rebels broke the ceasfire and started to fight again to remove Gadaffi ??

Surly he is allowed to fight back and put down a revelution in his own country ??

would the UN step in and back the rebels ??

what if the rebels started to loose ??

Are we going to war with Libiya ??

If so is it right for us to bomb and kill civilians ? what if Libiya brought the war to our shores ? would this be right ??

Archived