Are we at war with Libya?

As far as I'm aware we haven't stated we'll shoot all Libyan planes out of their own airspace either, so it is the same.

I think you'll find that the general consesnus is that if a nation doesn't conform to a no-fly zone, that you can expect the planes to be shot out of the sky.

An official state of war is much more than just a military action. We haven't declared war on any nation since at least 1950 - and I'm not even sure we ever declared war on North Korea, so maybe it was 1939.

You may recall the furore over whether the sinking of the General Belgrano was, or was not, justified. Without rehashing the argument, let me just point out that the only reason an argument existed is because we were not at war with Argentina. When you're at war with a nation, you sink any and all of their ships, anywhere at any time. When you're undertaking a specific military action, short of war, then you only do what's necessary for that particular action - you don't sink everything willy-nilly.

I agree the first part, following that rationale though we were never at War with Iraq as technically it hadn't been declared.

I'm struggling with the second paragraph though as I can't see the difference between targetting ships and targetting aircraft. Surely if we are prepared to shoot aircraft out of the sky, it is no different to shooting ships in the sea.

An official state of war is much more than just a military action. We haven't declared war on any nation since at least 1950 - and I'm not even sure we ever declared war on North Korea, so maybe it was 1939.

You may recall the furore over whether the sinking of the General Belgrano was, or was not, justified. Without rehashing the argument, let me just point out that the only reason an argument existed is because we were not at war with Argentina. When you're at war with a nation, you sink any and all of their ships, anywhere at any time. When you're undertaking a specific military action, short of war, then you only do what's necessary for that particular action - you don't sink everything willy-nilly.

Maybe someone should inform the other side then, perhaps they'll stop killing our troops who are not at war with them.

I think you'll find that the general consesnus is that if a nation doesn't conform to a no-fly zone, that you can expect the planes to be shot out of the sky.

The problem with that is no one knows where the plane will finally crash,or how many innocent people will be killed.

I have 3 questions.

How many people have died at the hands of their leader?

How many people will die in the coming months as a result of stopping the few above?

How much money are we going to earn out of their oil?

Ok four questions.how long will it be before we have to work on hearts and minds?? :hihi:

The UN dont give 2 hoops about their people if people were so much of a concern then we would have tackled Mugarbee,if anyone thinks its about anything else than oil then they really need a reality check!

Xt500, agreed, Iraq was all about oil. Afganistan was about Bin Laden, with the Americans infuriated at the damage on their soil. I believe there is oil in Libya, but I may be wrong. What puzzles me is the deafening silence from Israel.

Archived