Extremely brave

I read the article on these brave men.Then in the same newspaper another story of the poor fella found floating in 12 inches of water,(after some kind of blackout)Our emergency services in attendance:2 ambulances,1 air ambulance,2 fire-engines,loads of cop cars and coppers. and not one of the gutless b***ards had the compassion to wade in the water,(due to elf n safety) to actually see if the poor man could be saved.

I thought human beings were instinctive creatures who act first and worry about the consequences later. Those lilly-livered no-marks should be ashamed of themselves,and sacked.

Those heroic Japanese men put them to shame.

Going to be somewhat outspoken and voice opinions that are probably not what people want to hear but.....

Amongst other bits of very poor reporting in the comic book you've linked, to say those people are on a suicide mission is way off the mark - yes there is raised radiation levels but these are still relativity minor on the grand scale of things.

Agreed they are at some risk but fire fighters, police, armed forces etc. face far more life threatening hazards every day and unless someone actually gets killed or badly injured their stories never make it to the papers. In reality i bet far more people will suffer from the non nuclear effects of the disaster, no one seems to be raising the issue of all the nasty stuff released from the many fires or chemicals split from factories etc........

Personally i think much of what's reported in the daily rags is much exaggerated in order to sell papers to people that don't really understand what's happening, for the record i've actually spent time working at a few nuclear power stations so whilst not a boffin probably have a better understanding than some. I suspect much of the confusion comes from people not realising that a radiation dose is accumulated and not instant, the workers will be aware of the dose rates and should be able to minimise exposure as despite what the link implies the plant equipment is not the only way of measuring such things.

On balance i can certainly appreciate and respect what the workers are doing and the bigger picture of what would happen if they don't get things under control - in that sense I'm not putting them down but really do think a sense of perspective is needed.

**edit**

sibon, the video you've linked is so far away from the current situation that its unreal, the debris there came from the actual reactor core which was ejected when the reactor itself exploded and breached the pretty much non-existent containment - the reactors in Japan are a very different design with substantial containment, the workers might not be having the easiest of times but its fair to say things are not that bad by any means and despite what the media says another Chernobyl is a long way off yet. Something else to consider is the Japanese reactors are shut down and not doing anything apart from struggling to stay cool whilst the one at Chernobyl was running under very bad operating circumstances by people that didn't fully understand the consequences of their actions.

Archived