Neural pathways differ between gregarious living and the home alones

There you get into the whole nature/nurture debate - are we born social/loners or are we made.

True, I believe it is an interdependent mix. Certainly if the structure of our brains can be affected by experience as most science suggests now, that would support this. But I do accept that there may be such broad categories as "introvert" and "extrovert”. But the point is that whatever we are when born, our environment can either support that, and allow it to find its own edges and form. Or it can negate it and compromise its innate ability to grow creatively into its own identity.

Surely not all the time.

No man is an island, or something?

Oh, no, probably not all the time.

But in terms of living alone (leaving aside the social contact most people get through work, friends, going to the shops etc) then people definitely do.

Oh, no, probably not all the time.

But in terms of living alone (leaving aside the social contact most people get through work, friends, going to the shops etc) then people definitely do.

Sure. It must be hard, though. I'm thinking of getting my own place in the near future, but I have to say it feels a little daunting.

So what happens to people who move from a socially rich environment to being on their own? Do their neural pathways shrivel up and die? :huh::hihi:

Invariably, they struggle for a long time.

In your example, they already have well developed neural pathways for coping with a socially rich environment. What happens to these pathways is dependant on what the individual does from then onwards. If they persevere on their own for long enough they will eventually develop strong neural pathways for living in “isolation”. If they remain on their own for long enough and away from a socially rich environment they will lose those pathways that are required to function properly in a socially rich environment. To all intents & purpose the use it or lose it example.

Archived