Elliott Family Sheffield

Hi,

trying to find information about my family's history.

My grandad, Dennis Elliott was born in September 1926 and sadly died in September 1993. He worked as a postman for around 16 years and lived at Clarence Road, Hillsborough with my nan Enid. My dad said he also used to work for a large bakery where he used to manage despatches, including food to be delivered to Sheff Wed for matchdays.

His father (Harry Elliott) was a policeman in Sheffield and also served in WW1 in the RAMC (I have his medals) and he married Lucy Allen in 1916. They had another child, a daughter called Kathleen, who moved to Retford. Harry died whilst on holiday in Llandudno in the late 1970's.

Just wondered if anybody had any recollections or access to any information regarding these individuals? If anyone has a little info I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Christopher Elliott.

Hi Christopher - I grew up just round the corner from Clarence Road and probably knew your grandad by sight. I wonder if he worked for Fletcher's bakery at Wadsley Bridge, or the Don Bakery in Hillsborough (which closed in the early 1960s). Dennis Elliott is shown at 31 Clarence Road in the 1973 Kelly's Directory, having evidently moved there after 1968, as I also have this directory.

It might not be difficult to trace your roots by using one or other of the free, or pay-to-view websites. Free ones include such as FreeBMD, Sheffield Indexers and the I.G.I.. There are also www.ancestry.co.uk and www.findmypast.co.uk etc.

To give you a start I can supply a few details - your great-grandfather might be the "Harry Elliott, police constable" who lived at 6 Burns Road, Crookesmoor according to the 1925 and 1942 Kelly's directories. The marriage entry to Lucy Allen in April-June 1916, in the "Ecclesall Bierlow" district, refers to Volume 9c Page 609. You could use these details to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate from the General Register Office (you can register and order certificates online here). Marriage certificates (cost £9.25) are rich in detail and are a useful 'starting point' when tracing backwards.

If you have your great-grandfather's approximate date of birth, or if you know where the family lived in 1911 or have any details of his siblings or parents it might be possible to find him in the 1911 census return. In this case I could email you a scan of the page with details of the family (the 1911 census return shows three Harry Elliotts in Sheffield who were about the right age to have served in the First World War). A quick look in online indexes to army records didn't reveal any details of Harry's army service. Do you know his service number?

Looking for your great-grandmother in the 1911 census, the most likely Lucy Allen would perhaps be the one who was then aged 14 and lived at 10 Meadow Terrace, Sharrow Vale with her parents William and Lucy, and three younger siblings.

Anyway good luck!

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Hillsbro!

I have the marriage certificate for Harry Elliott, dated 17 June 1916, which states him as a corporal (his service number is 1958 - got a copy of medal index as well as actual medals). He must have joined around this time maybe because he has no 1914-15 star medal.

The fathers of the couple are Tom Senior Elliott (File Forger) and William Allen. Harry lived at 5 Lawson Street and Lucy at sk*viewdale Road (not 100 sure from the handwriting on certificate). The marriage took place at St. Augustine's in Endcliffe.

I have a copy of 1911 census from Lawson Street with Harry as a 17 year old and also Minnie is on there as well amongst 8 children.

I am a member of ancestry.co.uk and have found a lot on other relatives, but this side of the family is the greyish area.

Thank you for your help, any info is greatly appreciated.

I knew a Patrick Elliott who lived on Holgate Avenue (not a million miles from Hillsborough) in the 50's and 60's (and probably beyond). We both went to Ecclesfield Grammar School, and I know he worked at Sheffield University, and was married to a South African lady. He will be 63/64 now. As far as I know he is still in Sheffield - I found him through Ecclesfield Grammar's website. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

HI I dont know if its the same family but I have a reference to a Mr Elliott in my fathers diary from 1944. Lives in Fulwood. Im only just digging about in a very large tin box of papers so not yet got all the details. Let me know if yo want me to dig deeper.

Sally

HI I dont know if its the same family but I have a reference to a Mr Elliott in my fathers diary from 1944. Lives in Fulwood. Im only just digging about in a very large tin box of papers so not yet got all the details. Let me know if yo want me to dig deeper.

Sally

hiya, when i was working at laycocks eng for over 24 years i worked with a joe elliott, and he was a g/grandson of one of the fulwood elliotts one was frederick they were quarry owners.

• 3 years later...

Hello willybite.

I have only just seen your thread. My Mother Vera Elliott was a direct descendant perhaps of the Frederick Elliott from Fulwood. He was her Grandfather. This Joseph who was mentioned could have been her Nephew. Joseph's Dad was Henry. He worked at the Express Dairy at Heeley.

Frederick Elliott also owned Brookhouse Farm at Fulwood .He was also my G/Granddad.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I realise this thread is pretty old, but you never know...  I just put my great grandfather's name into google and this is where I ended up.

Kath2ivan really interested in your post.   I don't have anyone left to ask questions about family history but I know my paternal grandfather was George Elliott and he is buried at El Alamein.  I've just looked at his war grave record and it says his Father was Frederic Elliott and his Mother was called May.  Could these be the same people from Brookhouse Farm?  I know my family was originally from Sheffield (I was brought up in Bristol)  and I seem to remember a childhood story about my grandfather's brother dying in a car crash when young.  Any chance you can shed any light?

Fingers crossed!!
Clive