Pig headed drivers- are you one (Manchester)?

Quite often, mainly on route to and from work I'll see these pig headed drivers whiz pass me on the dual carriageway heading up to mottram when heading to work then they expect someone to allow them into the inside lane. they even do it when it's not that busy. Why should anyone let them in when they can't be bothered to wait like everyone else?

It's the same on my way home when coming off the M67 exit at the hattersley round-about waiting to get on the A57 woodhead , they take the right-hand lane indicating to go around the hattersley round-about then cut in around the drivers that have been waiting to turn left onto the woodhead. They drive me potty.

Why do drivers allow them in. Stop letting them in then they might stop being so damn pig headed.

They know who they are!! :mad:

I was one of them once, the first time I went over the Woodhead pass. As you approach the junction where the A57, there is a sign which explicitly states that traffic should use both lanes to carry on towards Manchester. I obeyed it, and took an empty space in the right hand lane - a quarter mile further on, the right hand lane peels off and I didn't want to, so I had to push my way in.

I haven't made that mistake since, and I suspect the large majority who are going up the right-hand lane and pushing in know perfectly well what they are doing; but that sign does need to be removed.

We've been over Mottram on our way to Chester today and seen the suicidal cutting in technique exhibited by literally dozens of drivers at exactly the place that you're describing danot and it was truly scary seeing the lengths and the danger that some people are prepared to go to in order to get into the inside lane.

Most of them weren't 'let in' by anybody, they just drove up the outside lane and forced the nose of their car in between cars in the inside lane so that the drivers in the inside lane were left with no choice other than to brake or drive into another car.

When I was a rep and drove 50000 miles a year I used to do my fair share of barging in to queues and the like, but I never consciously drove down the outside lane knowing that I would have to cut someone up to get back in to the inside lane or down the outside of a queue coming up to roadworks. If I ever did it, it was because I was in the lane as a mistake because of not being familiar with the road or whatever.

It's not an excuse and I'm sure that at least a few of the people I saw doing it today realised when they got into the outside lane that they really needed to be in the other lane instead. The difference with me, when I realised that I needed to be in the other lane at that spot in Mottram was that instead of barging in and risking causing a crash I accepted that I was in the wrong lane and turned right at the traffic lights, then found a way to come back to main road at the next traffic lights.

I used to get real road rage, now i'm a driving pacifist, if someone wants to cut in, i let em, life's too short.

If someone cuts me up I simply put my headlights on main beam and dazzle them for as long as they are in front of me. They do get annoyed though!

Archived