Charity investment? How?

Okay... I have no idea where I'd put this or how to go about finding this so hopefully someone can help me!!

I'm wanting to make a book like the little hardback gift books with glossy photographs and quotes to sell and all the profit goes to charity (it is more of an awareness raising project so it wouldn't be a massive profit anyway).

(I'm not releasing details of what exactly it is and what charity on purpose as that is not the point of the thread!)

However, in order to do this I need to first afford the outgoings to make the book, publish, print etc.

We would of course, cover the cost in the price of the book and the profit made on each book would go to charity.

How would I go about getting some sort of sponsor to cover the initial printing/publishing costs even though we'd pay it back when the books are sold?

Do I just approach companies that are related to the subject matter? So for instance if it was for children I could approach mothercare?

Or is there somewhere I can go specifically for this sort of help? Obviously I can't guarantee the sale of all the books so am reluctant to go for a bank loan as I'd rather go with a sponsor who realises the risks of not getting all of the money back but obviously having their company promoted at the same time.

Archived