The "supermoon".

So it's nothing to do with the moon being lit up by the setting sun's rays refracted through the earth's atmosphere and lighting up the moon in the same sunset colours we see here?

I always assumed it was that, but it was an explanation I had worked out for myself and wasn't based on any reading or research.

Nope, the effect is local, and varies according to local conditions.

Well, those of your horizon.

So it's nothing to do with the moon being lit up by the setting sun's rays refracted through the earth's atmosphere and lighting up the moon in the same sunset colours we see here?.

It's essentially the same phenomenon, yes; but there's more of it when there is more dust than normal in the atmosphere. Light gets more scattered, therefore things appear more orange-red. (Dust is enormously more efficient at scattering light than air molecules; indeed, it doesn't take much dust to block out the sight of sun and moon altogether.)

The period after a major volcanic eruption invariably produces some spectacular sunsets, and very noticeably orange, or even red, Moons.

• 2 years later...

There will be an astronomical conjunction of Jupiter, Venus and Mercury tomorrow (Sunday 26th May).

This means all three planets will appear really closely together and is quite an unusual occurrence.

You will need to be looking towards the Northwest about 50 minutes after sunset (2200hrs or thereabouts) skies should be clear and binoculars will be helpful but not essential.

http://astronomical-calendar.org.uk/index.php/jupiter-venus-and-mercury-may-26

Archived