What does it take to make the police attend?

I ate with a friend at a restaurant last weekend. It is a good (but not too expensive) restaurant. Two rows away from us were a couple who were in their (guessing) late fifties or early sixties. They chose a three course special . They had eaten the first course and most of the second course when the lady decided that the food was cold and not up to standard. They got up to leave but were approached by the waiter.

The guy told them that the food was not good and had made his wife feel ill. They walked calmly to the door. The waiter took out his mobile phone and said he would call the police. The guy smiled, said "go ahead" then they calmly and slowly walked out. The waiter put his mobile phone away and sighed.

At an opportune moment I asked him why he did not phone the police. He said that it would have been a waste of time as they would not have attended. It had, he assured me happened on previous occasions.

Are we living in a country fit for scammers?

And you expected them to pay for something that made one of the parties ill ?

It is my belief that the couple were scamming. They had eaten their fill and walked out with an excuse. Each of them and eaten the first course and most of the second course before they walked out. They would have known before eating most of the meal whether it was good or not! They were scammers.

It is my belief that the couple were scamming. They had eaten their fill and walked out with an excuse. Each of them and eaten the first course and most of the second course before they walked out. They would have known before eating most of the meal whether it was good or not! They were scammers.

Ok, let's say what you say was true; is there any way the restaurant can introduce a policy of customers paying up-front ?

Archived