What does it take to make the police attend?

I agree. If they had a genuine problem with the food they should have discussed it with the waiter and given him the chance to put it right. They had no intention of paying, or they wouldn't have just got up and left.

Quite agree with this.

If there is ever a problem with the food, then the restaurant should at least have the opportunity to put it right - whether this be replacing the meal or offering an alternative choice, or giving a discount / free meal to the customer.

Just as much as there are bad places to eat, there are probably bad customers to have in your restaurant :(

Is there any reason, though?

Usually customers can order as they go along. If you paid at the beginning more than likely you'd only have to pay at the end due to further orders, coffee, wine, cheese, side orders etc..

To the op. For a bad meal to upset your stomach it would probably take a certain amount of time to kick in, I don't think it would be instantaneous unless the food was actually moving.

Are we living in a country fit for scammers?

The police are top flight scammers themselves. Their inflated salaries, long periods of paid sick leave and gold plated early retirement are all paid for by us, the taxpayer.

And what services do we get in exchange for this considerable financial investment?

Well if I'm knifed by a gang of crack heads I'll die content, knowing that at least the paperwork will be done diligently.

Trouble is, they would be long gone by the time the police arrived as you are not allowed to detain them (unless you fancy a spell in pokey yourself) and AFAIK it is civil matter so even if the police did attend there would be nothing they could do. You need to sue them in the civil courts but then for that you need their names and addresses which they are not obliged to give.

It happens, but not often enough for the industry to lobby government to change the law.

It's wrong and they've been ripped off which is not nice for anybody, but they should just rack it up against all the times they rip of customers with mark up on wine and move on.

The alternative is what my brother did when this happened to him in the restaurant he was managing in London a few years back. Two students tried it on at the end of a long, well lubricated meal, so he drew up a chair, sat close to them and quietly explained that he knew what they were at, and if they didn't settle the bill he would follow them outside and beat the cr@p out of them.

He has the advantage of being very large with an intimidating face. When I asked him would he have done it he laughed and said "Of Course not. What do you take me for!"

Archived