Favourite pub pinball machines

patto

• 3 months later...

Favourite Pub Pinball Machines Part 1.

Ha! Didn't think it would be long before a pinball thread appeared on here, eh! I cannot remember all of the 'pinners' I've played on in Sheffield, but here are some :-

1. Grapes - Trippet Lane - Tetley.

I went in this pub for the first time in 1970 aged 16, and there was a very old lady who was tall and thin serving. The boozer had cobwebs all over the place, and the atmosphere was one of a funeral parlour. The pinball machine was on the right side in the pub and was made by Gottlieb, others were made by Williams. The 'theme' on the back glass was a monkey with a gynormous hammer ready to clout a large bell if a replay was won. Believe it or not, the aim was to reach 50 points for the monkey to swing the hammer. This machine was quite possibly the oldest pinball in Sheffield. The three bumpers (not bobbins) scored 1 point each when hit but the ring around two of them had slipped meaning when they were hit, the point(s) didn't register on the score tally. I never did manage to get a replay, even with the end number. Over the weeks I had called in this pub to try and defeat this damned monkey machine with it's two 'dead' bumpers, and once reached 49 points and the last ball sprung over the rail and out of play and I felt I had been robbed. The monkey had made a monkey out of me which caused me some sleepless neets, so I didn't go in again. Crap beer anyway! Hope I haven't got this pub mixed up with the Dog and Partridge, also Tetley.

2. Old Harrow - White Lane - Gleadless/Basegreen - Whitbread.

In the early to mid 70s (72-75), I used to play the pinball machine in this pub with 8 drinking mates in a competition. Each of us would put 10 pence in the kitty and the person who got the highest score would pick up the 80 pence prize, (10 pence had already gone into the machine to get the ball rolling). Don't forget that at 12-14 pence for a pint of bitter, and a similar price for 10 fags, 80 pence wasn't to be sniffed at. This competition we did 2 or 3 times each time we met, usually on Friday and Saturday nights. The pinball was called 'Doozy', the same model as the one in the Albert - Whitbread - on Cambridge Street/Division Street in town.

played on one in owl on peniston rd like rossyroony me and my mate adjusted legs and won 8 pints of beer.when man came to empty machine he reported the changed height to landlord he wasnt pleased at all and threatened us with all kinds of nasties if it happened again

• 2 weeks later...

Favourite Pub Pinball Machines Part 2.

In those days you got 6 balls, sometimes 5 per game. You could on most of the pinball machines light the specials up by scoring so many points or by hitting certain objects (targets). The specials were usually a red light (sometimes orange or yellow) and if you hit the target you would win a replay or earn an extra ball. When a replay was won or gotten the pinball usually made a loud THWACK! making you feel reight good knowing others in the pub could hear the thwack, this often made one's (my) head grow bigger...go on, admit it!

Fags, beer, quid deals, and playing the bandit (2 cherries on the end paid 2 pence) were not my addictions, pinball machines were. When playing I would have my thumbs on top of the glass and pressing into the metal siding (got it?), and I would flip using my middle fingers, after a few hours playing I quite often had a groove down the underside of my thumbs, sometimes with the skin pierced. Know the feeling?

In some places the pinball was stood deliberately in such a way that if you shook the machine ever so slightly it would tilt, which meant game over, and you then had to put more money in to continue playing. In some pubs you could shake, slap, rock, jerk and give the machines some reight Paul Thompson and they wouldn't tilt...Oh! Where's my time machine? Good times.

Some of the places I played pinball:-

Roebuck - Charles Street - Wards

Sportsman - Cambridge Street - Tetley

Minerva - Charles Street - Whitbread - favourite pinball

Mail Coach - West Street - Tetley

Olde Red Lion - Holly Street - Stones

Whetstone - Cumberland Street - Tetley

Manchester Hotel - Nursery Street - Wards

Brown Cow - Mowbray Street - Wards

Albert - Cambridge Street/ Division Street - Whitbread

Students Union - Glossop Road - Slops

Pinball Amusement Arcade - Snig Hill, near ABC flix

Attercliffe, Darnall and Gleadless Valley, various pubs.

Favourite Pub Pinball Machines Part 2.

In those days you got 6 balls, sometimes 5 per game. You could on most of the pinball machines light the specials up by scoring so many points or by hitting certain objects (targets). The specials were usually a red light (sometimes orange or yellow) and if you hit the target you would win a replay or earn an extra ball. When a replay was won or gotten the pinball usually made a loud THWACK! making you feel reight good knowing others in the pub could hear the thwack, this often made one's (my) head grow bigger...go on, admit it!

Fags, beer, quid deals, and playing the bandit (2 cherries on the end paid 2 pence) were not my addictions, pinball machines were. When playing I would have my thumbs on top of the glass and pressing into the metal siding (got it?), and I would flip using my middle fingers, after a few hours playing I quite often had a groove down the underside of my thumbs, sometimes with the skin pierced. Know the feeling?

In some places the pinball was stood deliberately in such a way that if you shook the machine ever so slightly it would tilt, which meant game over, and you then had to put more money in to continue playing. In some pubs you could shake, slap, rock, jerk and give the machines some reight Paul Thompson and they wouldn't tilt...Oh! Where's my time machine? Good times.

Some of the places I played pinball:-

Roebuck - Charles Street - Wards

Sportsman - Cambridge Street - Tetley

Minerva - Charles Street - Whitbread - favourite pinball

Mail Coach - West Street - Tetley

Olde Red Lion - Holly Street - Stones

Whetstone - Cumberland Street - Tetley

Manchester Hotel - Nursery Street - Wards

Brown Cow - Mowbray Street - Wards

Albert - Cambridge Street/ Division Street - Whitbread

Students Union - Glossop Road - Slops

Pinball Amusement Arcade - Snig Hill, near ABC flix

Attercliffe, Darnall and Gleadless Valley, various pubs.

No Elm Tree Manor Top [stones] Zakes, All the pinball adventures risked that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived