28 yr old Christian jailed for murdering 70yr old

No, I have nothing against Christianity.

It was a comment on your inconsistency of view.

So you did not understand from my post that the pride which is one of the deadly sins and which results in arrogance, insolence, conceit, foolishness, stupidity, and contempt for others is wrong; but a feeling of self-respect and personal worth with your own (or another's) achievements is well and good?

Example: "He takes pride in his son's success"

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=pride

Aristotle identified pride as the crown of the virtues, distinguishing it from vanity, thus:

"Now the man is thought to be proud who thinks himself worthy of great things, being worthy of them; but he who does so beyond his deeds is a fool." (This is the pride that comes before a fall.)

So you did not understand from my post that the pride which is one of the deadly sins and which results in arrogance, insolence, conceit, foolishness, stupidity, and contempt for others is wrong; but a feeling of self-respect and personal worth with your own (or another's) achievements is well and good?

Example: "He takes pride in his son's success"

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=pride

Where does self respect end, and arrogance start? They are just different points on a spectrum. From the outside, someone could be described as either, with justification..

Where does self respect end, and arrogance start? They are just different points on a spectrum. From the outside, someone could be described as either, with justification..

As you say pride and arrogance are different. The high achievers I know are often modest, quiet people. I used to beat the arrogant boastful runners in the half marathons I ran. They were the people for whom pride used to come before a fall.

You said about Matthew and you give Mark that was written before the destruction of the Temple in AD70.

<< Mark 13 >>

"And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here! And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down."

3And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately, 4Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all these things shall be fulfilled? 5And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:

Very appropriate.

Now, how about Matthew who was another disciple of Jesus.

I think this is proof that it was written after 70CE as it describes the destruction of the temple.

Mod Note

I'm sure there was an original topic somewhere, maybe we could try discussing that and starting a different topic to discuss comparative religion ?

Archived