After Japan's problems should we have new nuclear power stations in the UK?

New nuclear power stations in the UK?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. New nuclear power stations in the UK?

• Yes. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    • Yes. We have no choice.
    • Ok. But not in my backyard.
    • No. Thanks.
    • No. Are you crazy?!

What we have at present is unsustainable that much is clear. Alternative so named greener sources of power are there but are probably unlikely to be enough to power the country alone. We need a continuous supply, nuclear can and probably will be the solution.

I would think those who don't want nuclear power just won't buy electricity from EDF. There are plenty of 'Green Energy' suppliers.

I just wonder how much electricity has been generated by the wind turbines out alongside the Parkway. I know the blades have come off several times and in the years they have been there I can't remember more than a handfull of days when they were actually turning. It certainly took many times more energy to manufacture the things than they have ever produced, particularly as the engineers keep flying in from Europe to try to get them fixed.

The research turbines, the ones that have their blades removed?

Funny what we think we know and what the reality really is!

That's not what it says here. Funny what we think we know and what the reality really is

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6284573/Wind-turbine-in-Sheffield-broken-by-wind-for-second-time.html

Wind turbine in Sheffield broken by wind for second time

A blade on a wind turbine in Sheffield has broken in strong winds for the second time in 15 months.

7:00AM BST 10 Oct 2009

Manufacturers of the 190ft high turbine, one of three owned by Sheffield University, are now investigating the damage at the site close to the city's Parkway link road to the M1.

A blade on the same turbine was broken 15 months ago and residents who live close to the site at Catcliffe, near Rotherham, have expressed fears that they could pose a danger to local people.

Martin Oldfield said : "I'm worried about them from a safety point of view as they are quite close to the road and a supermarket where a lot of people go.

"There are workmen up there now starting work on repairing it but now that it's happened a second time clearly there is a serious issue.

"There was one bright side - as soon as the blade snapped off the TV signal instantly improved and I could see all my programmes properly again."

A Sheffield University spokeswoman said : "It is not clear why this happened and an investigation is being carried out by the wind turbine manufacturers.

"We are clearly concerned and have requested that the wind turbines are not put back into service until the suppliers and independent consultants have carried out their investigations and can confirm the safety of the equipment."

Nuclear waste is esy to get rid of - it's compact, stable and you bury it ina geologically stable location of which the UK has an abundance.

So if the UK won't take the high-level nuclear waste we could just ship it off somewhere else and dump it there, couldn't we? :huh:

Oh no... Because there isn't a place that does this, is there?.. Anywhere in the world... :sad:

If it's so safe and easy why has nowhere done this in the 60 odd years we've had nuclear power? And why would Govt./greens oppose it? :confused:

So if the UK won't take the high-level nuclear waste we could just ship it off somewhere else and dump it there, couldn't we? :huh:

Oh no... Because there isn't a place that does this, is there?.. Anywhere in the world... :sad:

If it's so safe and easy why has nowhere done this in the 60 odd years we've had nuclear power? And why would Govt./greens oppose it? :confused:

I suppose you could say the same about so called green energy. If it's so safe and easy why has no country adopted it as their standard source of energy in the last 60 odd years.

I suppose you could say the same about so called green energy. If it's so safe and easy why has no country adopted it as their standard source of energy in the last 60 odd years.

Probably because (if you ignore the consequences and long-term effects) fossil fuels and nuclear power are initially much cheaper.

I have yet to fathom the reasons that the green lobby have - mainly because I cannot get inside the mind of people with such a ludicroous and deluded view of science and engineering as these people have.

So what's the deal with the Waverley turbines? Are they experimental models where they're deliberately pressuring them to failure? Because the two windfarms I can see over here have not suffered a blade failure.

I've not heard anything before to suggest that they were experimental other than the posting of someone on here who claims to know everything.

The turbines were errected to supply power to a high tech complex with supposed green credentials.

It would seem foolhardy indeed to site an experimental turbine in a highly populated business park if you thought there was any danger of the blades flying off. You would be even more foolhardy to refit more experimental blades and let them fly fail again.

Archived