After Japan's problems should we have new nuclear power stations in the UK?

New nuclear power stations in the UK?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. New nuclear power stations in the UK?

• Yes. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    • Yes. We have no choice.
    • Ok. But not in my backyard.
    • No. Thanks.
    • No. Are you crazy?!

Yet Folkestone (within 20 miles of a nuclear reactor) had two earthquakes in recent years.

Causing damage running into the billions millions hundreds of thousands tens of thousands thousands hundreds tens of pounds.

I will blame them for the dangers in forcing government to keep waste above ground, rather than burying it in a safer and more secure geological repository.

So you admit keeping high-level waste above ground is dangerous.

As for name calling, speaking the truth is not name calling. In debates I have had the green lobby has shown a woeful ignorance of basic science and engineering. It's not name calling to point out that someone is unable to make a cogent and coherent argument when they have no understanding at all of the foundations on which the argument is resting.

So which of these 'green lobby' arguements against nuclear power would you like to disprove first?

1. All things considered it is hugely expensive.

2. We have nowhere to put the high-level radioactive waste it produces.

3. Nuclear power has increased the risk of nuclear proliferation. (More countries with the bomb.)

So you admit keeping high-level waste above ground is dangerous.

So which of these 'green lobby' arguements against nuclear power would you like to disprove first?

1. All things considered it is hugely expensive.

2. We have nowhere to put the high-level radioactive waste it produces.

3. Nuclear power has increased the risk of nuclear proliferation. (More countries with the bomb.)

Is that first line a question or a statement?

1. No it isn't as France has so ably proven

2. Yes we do - or do you think we just leave it lying at the side of the road?

3. No it hasn't. Commercial once through fuel or MOX fuel with high burnup percentages is incredbily difficult to use in a bomb

You admit I see to not knowing what you are talking about.

Is that first line a question or a statement?.

There is no question mark, you can contest it if you wish.

1. No it isn't as France has so ably proven

2. Yes we do - or do you think we just leave it lying at the side of the road?

3. No it hasn't. Commercial once through fuel or MOX fuel with high burnup percentages is incredbily difficult to use in a bomb

You admit I see to not knowing what you are talking about.

1. On what information do you back up this claim?

2. Okay I'll rephrase that. We have nowhere safe to put the high-level radioactive waste it produces.

3. Just because normal reactors don't produce weapons grade plutonium doesn't mean nuclear power has not increased the risk of nuclear proliferation.

All the new countries accepted to have nuclear weapons (pakistan, israel, north korea, etc) began their weapons programmes with nuclear power. It enables them to learn relevant skills and makes it harder for the IAEA to police proliferation.

If what you say is correct why is the US so worried about Iran's nuclear power programme?

There is no question mark, you can contest it if you wish.

1. On what information do you back up this claim?

2. Okay I'll rephrase that. We have nowhere safe to put the high-level radioactive waste it produces.

3. Just because normal reactors don't produce weapons grade plutonium doesn't mean nuclear power has not increased the risk of nuclear proliferation.

All the new countries accepted to have nuclear weapons (pakistan, israel, north korea, etc) began their weapons programmes with nuclear power. It enables them to learn relevant skills and makes it harder for the IAEA to police proliferation.

If what you say is correct why is the US so worried about Iran's nuclear power programme?

1. The cost of French electricity

2. Yes we do.

3. *Our* production of nuclear energy makes no difference to Iran building a bomb.

Archived