Henry's Bar Cambridge street

David Tommy

Having customers that are not annoying them probably helps. They gave you perfectly good £5 note and you asked for a 'Proper' £5 note. You were in the wrong, they had done their job and given you your change and then you wanted to be clever. I think it may teach you a lesson in future!

Everyone knows that banks take them at worst......below is from the Bank of England...

While most countries have a central bank that issues that country's currency, the situation is different in the UK, with a number of retail banks having the right to produce their own banknotes along with the Bank of England.

In Scotland, the Bank of Scotland, the Royal Bank of Scotland, and the Clydesdale bank all release their own banknotes. Four banks in Northern Ireland also produce their own banknotes.

Until the mid-19th century, all privately owned banks in Great Britain and Ireland were permitted to issue their own banknotes provided they had the means to support their value. Restrictions on banking that were introduced then meant that from then on, no new banks would be permitted to issue banknotes and only the Bank of England would be permitted to issue currency. The banks that did issue their own currencies gradually disappeared, but in Scotland and Northern Ireland several banks retained their right to issue banknotes, provided the value of the circulating currency is backed up by Bank of England notes of a similar value.

This can lead to some confusion for those visiting the country, and a source of irritation to Scots who find that their banknotes are not recognised by traders south of the border or elsewhere.

But it may come as a pleasant surprise to those who have had a Scottish banknote turned down by a shopkeeper south of the border to discover that notes issued by the Bank of England note are not legal tender in Scotland. Bank of England notes are recognised as legal tender in England and Wales only. Needless to say, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales, and a trader would be perfecly entitled to turn down a Scottish banknote.

However, Scottish notes - while the recognised currency in Scotland - are not actually legal tender in Scotland either. It is of course worth bearing in mind that some other means of payment such as cheques, credit cards or debit cards do not constitute legal tender either.

Of course, banknotes do not actually have to be classed as legal tender for them to be acceptable for a transaction. For example, a shop may accept Euros or US or Canadian Dollars despite these not being legal tender in the UK.

In Scotland, no notes are actually legal tender. Coins are the only actual legal tender.

The term 'legal tender' is key to the currency issue, as it only actually refers to a narrow definition of what is acceptable for the settlement of a debt, and does not carry any real practical meaning in everyday life. Just because a note (or other means of payment) is not legal tender does not mean that it is illegal or unacceptable.

In short, the notes are legal to use in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK, but traders may refuse to accept them, in the same way that they can refuse to accept cheques or turn down an offer of payment for a small item with a large note.

Jamesogt,Firstly I was not annoying them,secondly I was perfectly within my rights to ask for an English note in my change considering I gave them an English £20 note,I would not expect to be given any yen,dollars,or any other currency.

I quite like Henry's and have never had any issue with the bar staff there.

I would, however, politely ask them to give me an English note rather than a Scottish. At the end of the day Henry's can just take that note off to the bank with all the rest, whereas being stuck with a note that may, or may not, get accepted in future places would not be good.

The place stinks of damp and mould.

It used to be a classy place but not any more.

The female staff have an attitude problem.

Give me a male barman any time they treat the job as a profession.

Disagree about the male barman stewpot54, My personal preferance are those slutty dont give a monkeys page 3 types.. Oooh yes :hihi::P

I've never had any problems with the staff there, but I can understand why the OP would want a traditional £5 note.

I wouldn't have a clue what a Scottish £5 note looks like, so how could I tell if I was being given a real note or monopoly money?

It's OK suggesting he should take it back if it isn't real, but how can he prove he was given it in the 1st place?

I think if I was in the same situation I would also ask for it to be changed.

Regards

Doom

I like Henrys. Never had a problem with the bar staff at all.

As for Scottish notes, people seem far too hung up about them. I'm in the north east at least a couple of times a month and I regulalry return to Sheffield with Scottish money on me. I have never had a problem spending it anywhere.

We don't accept Scottish notes, largely because I can't seem to spend them anywhere, but mostly because I have no idea what a real one is meant to look like! I don't think they have any bits that glow up under the UV light do they? I might be wrong so don't quote me on that!

It's just not worth taking the risk I'm afraid, and having to keep them aside to pay in at the bank is just tedious.

Graham

Archived