Little treasures

As a parent I love my kid. I think he's great. I think he's funny, interesting, smart, entertaining, charming, bright and a credit to himself and to me. I don't expect you to feel the same way though. In fact I think that as far as you are concerned he should be as quiet and as unobtrusive as possible so if your paths cross they do it with the minimum of fuss and you can get on with your day.

I don't expect you to marvel at him, be interested in him, care too much about him or tolerate him very much. You are busy and you have stuff to do. I don't think that you should place his needs above or even on a level with your own. I think that so long as he is about as polite and ok as a 6 year old can be you should return that courtesy to him and if he isn't i'd appreciate you telling me so I can discipline him so he learns not to be a vile little snot.

Because i'm a parent it doesn't mean i'm prepared to make exceptions for other peoples kids. I may know what its like but that doesn't excuse it. Your kid is only of interest to you. In the same way that when it howls it doesn't chainsaw its way into your head like it does into mine. Your kid doesn't really interest me if its not friends with my kid.

Still with me? Good, what i'm trying to say is did I miss a meeting where it was decided that kids needs outrank adults? Why is there so much lazy parenting going on? Why are we supposed to just put up with noisy, rude kids? Shut them up, they may well be expressing themselves but they are doing it at my expense and I matter as well. Its not fair and its not right and if it were the other way round the parent of the vile snot would be bleating at you till your ears bleed. I'm not saying that kids should be seen and not heard or beaten into submissive wrecks but what i am saying is its possible for kids to be taught what is acceptable behaviour and how they should interact with strange adults.

My kid isn't perfect, not by a long way, but when he does something wrong I don't gormlessly grin at the person who has been wrong begging their indulgence. I apologise and try to make amends, this goes a long way to soothing potentially hurt feelings and we all get along better. There needs to be some real attitude adjustments by some parents because the way they are doing things just isn't right. That said if they are genuinely struggling I try to offer a hand. Possibly if we all tried to help each other we might get along better.

I have a child, When he goes to nursery there is one (simple) mother with the most vilest of children know to man, the child pushes, hits, screams, spits, swears and pulls evil faces at the other kids, the gormless mother laughs and called her child the "devil child". 11 different parents have complained about this child to nursery staff and the thick mother just thinks its amusing as "said" child is only small and a girl. The trouble SOMETIMES ( not everyone before people start) is young mothers or just scum, she is a young single parent with no idea, Once your child starts nursery/school you see some right things, Kids being swore at , dragged along, threatened and the usual set of mothers "who cant wait to dump them at school" I always wonder why have them then?? and ofcourse the scum have lots of kids which out numbers the decent people, Its a sad state of affairs!

As a parent I love my kid. I think he's great. I think he's funny, interesting, smart, entertaining, charming, bright and a credit to himself and to me. I don't expect you to feel the same way though. In fact I think that as far as you are concerned he should be as quiet and as unobtrusive as possible so if your paths cross they do it with the minimum of fuss and you can get on with your day.

I don't expect you to marvel at him, be interested in him, care too much about him or tolerate him very much. You are busy and you have stuff to do. I don't think that you should place his needs above or even on a level with your own. I think that so long as he is about as polite and ok as a 6 year old can be you should return that courtesy to him and if he isn't i'd appreciate you telling me so I can discipline him so he learns not to be a vile little snot.

Because i'm a parent it doesn't mean i'm prepared to make exceptions for other peoples kids. I may know what its like but that doesn't excuse it. Your kid is only of interest to you. In the same way that when it howls it doesn't chainsaw its way into your head like it does into mine. Your kid doesn't really interest me if its not friends with my kid.

Still with me? Good, what i'm trying to say is did I miss a meeting where it was decided that kids needs outrank adults? Why is there so much lazy parenting going on? Why are we supposed to just put up with noisy, rude kids? Shut them up, they may well be expressing themselves but they are doing it at my expense and I matter as well. Its not fair and its not right and if it were the other way round the parent of the vile snot would be bleating at you till your ears bleed. I'm not saying that kids should be seen and not heard or beaten into submissive wrecks but what i am saying is its possible for kids to be taught what is acceptable behaviour and how they should interact with strange adults.

My kid isn't perfect, not by a long way, but when he does something wrong I don't gormlessly grin at the person who has been wrong begging their indulgence. I apologise and try to make amends, this goes a long way to soothing potentially hurt feelings and we all get along better. There needs to be some real attitude adjustments by some parents because the way they are doing things just isn't right. That said if they are genuinely struggling I try to offer a hand. Possibly if we all tried to help each other we might get along better.

That sentence made me smile! Your whole post resonates with me. The natural balance of adults/children seems to have shifted enormously in some families. I'm not in favour of 'children should be seen and not heard' the mantra when I was growing up, but I don't believe they should be heard loudly at all times! Bad behaviour and rudeness needs to be challenged by parents or other responsible adults, but sadly some adults who may also be parents aren't responsible. :o

Its many years since I had young children, but I have young grandchildren (who I adore), and who, I'm glad to say, are being 'encouraged' to behave well. Fortunately, the nursery school they attend does seem to attract families with similar values, so they mix with other reasonably well behaved children. And the staff are excellent. My granddaughter has been put on time-out more than once, and although she is only 4 she realises why and hopefully learns that if she does misbehave a punishment of sorts will follow - and the same applies at home.

Unfortunately, in our society there are some parents who think their offspring are perfect and wouldn't accept that there should be any discipline. The growth of that kind of parent has a lot to do with some schools going down the nick. :roll:

Archived