What happened to Beaties?

eighty4

No, it was, I suppose, a hobby shop. It sold things like model railways, modeling kits, that kind of thing. I think they also had a branch in Meadowhall for a while.

I used to love that shop. I think the company went into recievership however.

They split up in 1970.

John became a plasterer;

Paul went into manufacturing;

George opened his own Pork Pie Factory; and

Ted started a tadpole class.

Beatties, on Pinstone Street - just to prove I'm not being totally facetious - was a top notch model shop. No, not yer Naomi Campbells and all that, but Hornby Railways, Mamod Steam Engines and Remote Control Cars.

Typically, by the time I could walk in and buy what the heck I wanted, as opposed to drooling at something and thinking it would take me all year to save up, the blummin' place closed!

I bought many an Airfix from there.

There's a Beatties department store (Northampton is the only place i've seen one) and there used to be a Toy and Model shop chain too - but they've all vanished, or turned into Toymaster in recent years.

My son, when he was young, loved going in Beatties. He would sit for hours doing model planes etc. One day he pursuaded his nan to take him in the hope that she would buy him another kit. After deliberating for some time she was glad when he finally made a decision and asked what it was he had chosen. "It's a Fokker Friendship" he said........"our Mark" she said in disgust......"you shouldn't swear". Poor kid had no idea what she thought he had said......

I think he still get the model. Shame they've gone though. I didn't realise.

Talkin of beaties does anyone remember uncle arthurs ? There was one on woodseats opposite the big tree and one near dwp building (huge ugly red thing at the bottom of the moor) ive not been to either of these area's for ages so i dunno if they are still open ? Does anyone know ?

Archived