What happened to Beaties?

eighty4

Originally posted by eighty4

Talkin of beaties does anyone remember uncle arthurs ? There was one on woodseats opposite the big tree and one near dwp building (huge ugly red thing at the bottom of the moor) ive not been to either of these area's for ages so i dunno if they are still open ? Does anyone know ?

As far as im aware, the one at WoodSeats is still there, I have never been into that one, although i used to go in the one at the bottom of the moor all the time, that one closed down about 4 years ago and now is a picture framing shop (i think, i know it was at one point)

Originally posted by grandadtee

What - Beatties has closed?? You'll be telling me next that Redgates has gone, that they don't sell Sasparilla in that shop on Woodseats any more and that the Abbeydale cinema has stopped showing the Sound of Music. I really should get out more

Wow, The art of sarcasm isnt dead with you is it?

Yes, so Beatties closed about 10 years ago, it turned into something else for a while (cant remember what), then into Maplins, and has been Maplins for about 3 years now

Originally posted by fredsredhat

Didn't Beaties on Pinstone St have the train set running round the ceiling?

That's the one. A lot of everything it had - now the closest there is would be in Meadowhell on the top level just on the entrance to Oasis - trains, models et al.

Originally posted by craigmason

i to used to visit beaties pity it shut down as there are no more decent model shops left in the city centre :(

There is one as stated next to the GT news and insurance place near the old Post Office building - just up from pond street.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-1.46482&GridN=53.38248&lon=-1.46482&lat=53.38248&search_result=Flat%20Street%2C%20S1%2C%20SHEFFIELD&GridN=53.38248&GridE=-1.46482&db=GB&cidr_client=none&lang=&place=Flat+Street,+S1,+SHEFFIELD&pc=&advanced=&client=public&addr2=Flat+Street&quicksearch=flat+street,+sheffield&addr3=sheffield&scale=5000&addr1=

• 2 years later...

Model shops are disapearing fast. Ahh the days of popping into Beaties on a Saturday afternoon and looking at their over priced starwars figures and their over priced Britains Limited 'Knights and Turks". And even buying their over priced Tamiya and Italeri WWI kits, along with a couple of pots of humbrol , a 00 paintrush and a bag of flock.

sniff, miss those days. Beaties was blinkin dear though...now Redgates ...Ahh hthere was a shop of Dreams.

There's a Beatties department store (Northampton is the only place i've seen one) and there used to be a Toy and Model shop chain too - but they've all vanished, or turned into Toymaster in recent years.

There is a Beatties in Huddersfield but it is a Department Store not a model shop.

my big bro worked there for years! He was the boffin, who knew everything there was to know about everything..lol The one with the beard Graham:hihi::hihi: The manager was George and I had a secret crush on nick! lol Seriously it was a London based firm, who in the end bought too much stock at the wrong time, there was a big who harr....and Beatties in sheffield lost out as part of the chain, that's about it really.

We still have very knowledgable Tag's and Marcway for top models though, as well as the one in Meadowhall.

graham moved on to Jessops photo shop and now works at the branch in Chesterfield.

Aye Marcway's is great, they probably have the best selection of kits. Tags is good for R/C stuff, Rails Of Sheffield on Chesterfield Road are the cheapest place for model railways, tho not the best, the staff are the worst I've ever come across (no offence), I'd rather buy from Sheffield Transport Models anyday.

Archived