What happened to Beaties?

eighty4

Kids prefer square eyes sat in front of a computer...building something would be very difficult for most kids nowadays...not surprising they went bust.

Then again the smaller outlets are being kept alive by those that do/did get a kick from building something. As the average modeler is now about 60 most outlets have about 10 yrs before they go under...:(

most kids today don't have the patience but we did'nt have computers and stuff when I was a kid.

I'm doing a project in memory of my dad at the moment....Avro Vulcan B2 bomber...as he worked on this beast whilst in the RAF.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit....Airfix....plus I get to do a lot of research into the history etc, something I never got chance to hear from my dad. Cold war etc, lots of wierd experiments, he died at the age of 53...so one wonders?

most kids today don't have the patience but we did'nt have computers and stuff when I was a kid.

I'm doing a project in memory of my dad at the moment....Avro Vulcan B2 bomber...as he worked on this beast whilst in the RAF.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit....Airfix....plus I get to do a lot of research into the history etc, something I never got chance to hear from my dad. Cold war etc, lots of wierd experiments, he died at the age of 53...so one wonders?

i have built one of those and done it white! looks amazing

• 4 months later...

hi

i will tell you what happend to beaties. my grandad was the managing director when beaties was bought by eira. eira was about to go bust. eira asked beaties for a large sum of money which thay had to pay. they paid it but then they went bust and the amount wasnt big enough to save eira so they went bust aswell. i hope that answers your questions

• 9 months later...

A pal of mine used to be a manager in one of their stores. He left them when they started losing the plot and trying to sell electronic games. They had no pedigree for this and none of the games were selling even though they were selling elsewhere. The stuff that was selling was being squeezed out so the regulars started buying elsewhere. The rest is history.

Archived