"Signing on," without an interpreter!

I suppose you could always adopt the Dutch system.

You've got 6 months to learn the language.

If, at the end of that time you can't speak Dutch, there's no point signing on ... because you're not getting any money.

You won't get any money because you have made yourself unavailable for work by declining to learn to communicate with those who might employ you in their tongue. (Dutch.)

How can you say you want to be a part of Dutch society if you are unwilling to learn to communicate with other members of that society?

never heard of this ,but it seems very fair to me,but of course it wont happen here.

That is ridiculous, not just because people who don't speak English can collect benefits without being questioned about what they are doing to meet the criteria, i.e.: looking for work, but because they can't get work when they can't speak English so under this system they will be on benefits forever! They should get support to learn the skills they need and get a job!

This is an example of false economy, paying people benefits for life has to cost more in the long term than interpreters and language lessons in the short term, so it's not saving the government money!

My brother's ex-wife, who has only recently began claiming Jobseekers Allowance, after her son had reached 7 years of age, has been regularly attending one of the Job Centre's in Sheffield, to "sign on." Each time she signs on she is asked by the Job Centre, what she has been doing to find work.

She apparently is asked the same questions each time she signs on and has to show that she is looking for work.

One day, whilst she was signing on she noticed a woman signing on next to her, but this woman was not asked any questions, but was simply allowed to sign on and then leave.

My brothers ex wife asked the person who was dealing with her, why the other woman was not asked questions just like she was asked each time she signed on. The response was that they allowed this woman to just sign on with no questioning because they did not have interpreters and the man power and the time to deal with someone who couldn't speak English and who required an interpreter.

I find this absolutely shocking to say the least.

one law applied equally to all, thats all i ask.

at the very least this woman and others in her situation should have to learn english as part of the conditions of benefit entitlement.

one law applied equally to all, thats all i ask.

at the very least this woman and others in her situation should have to learn english as part of the conditions of benefit entitlement.

It would only be fair if you did too wouldn't you say?

I suggest you read up on Immigration Policy. All migrants entering the U.K are required to demonstrate a certain level of English.

Please don't have the tunnel view of us letting in whoever we want. We do have rules when it comes to English Language.

Personally, I've come across migrants that speak better English that some of the people that have grown up here. (and do doubt sign on)

it is all well and good having a " requirement" to speak the language. the problem is enforcing it!

My brother's ex-wife, who has only recently began claiming Jobseekers Allowance, after her son had reached 7 years of age, has been regularly attending one of the Job Centre's in Sheffield, to "sign on." Each time she signs on she is asked by the Job Centre, what she has been doing to find work.

She apparently is asked the same questions each time she signs on and has to show that she is looking for work.

One day, whilst she was signing on she noticed a woman signing on next to her, but this woman was not asked any questions, but was simply allowed to sign on and then leave.

My brothers ex wife asked the person who was dealing with her, why the other woman was not asked questions just like she was asked each time she signed on. The response was that they allowed this woman to just sign on with no questioning because they did not have interpreters and the man power and the time to deal with someone who couldn't speak English and who required an interpreter.

I find this absolutely shocking to say the least.

The idiot dealing with your claim is talking rubbish, they should be asking everyone what they are doing to look for work but the person dealing with that womens claim couldn't be bothered.

"OUTRAGE! those brown poor people are getting a slightly different deal that these white poor people!!"

nothing like watching people arguing about how to divide up the ever smaller cake they are given.

what people are begining to ask is,who bought the ingredients for the cake you mention ?who prepared it and who cooked it ?

Archived