You can tell its spring!!

I understand you should'nt kill them but the only mission that bee was on was death and destruction.:o

Death and destruction, who did it kill ,what did it destruct,dont be such a drama queen.

I nearly trod on a bee in the park this afternoon and I swear to god it was the size of my foot. Made me jump, they're so loud and buzzy.

*shudder*

It was probably coming out of hibernation. Bumble Bees live in the ground during winter. They start coming out at this time of year. They won't hurt you (unless you try to stroke one ... which I did when I was 3) [i remember that vividly!]

Honey bees are usually placid and if you're more than about 6ft from the swarm (or their hive) then unless they are foraging in the immediate area, they will usually be more than 6ft above the ground. They won't sting you unless they absolutely have to. - They die when they sting.

Wasps are usually placid during the early part of the year. (Unless you feed them.:hihi:)

In autumn, they gorge on over-ripe fruit (when they can get it) which ferments inside them. They're unpredictable buggers when they're drunk. :hihi:

If you've got a wasp problem, get a 2-litre PET pop bottle, cut the top off (about 3" below the spout), invert it and jam it into the bottle. Then put a few inches of paraffin in the bottle and leave it near the problem. The wasps will be attracted to the paraffin, go in through the neck, be overcome by the fumes and die.

If you do find a swarm of honey bees, phone a local bee-keeper and (s)he'll probably come and take it away.

If you find what look like bees (a bit bigger than honey bees) apparently chewing on the pointing between the bricks on your house - do something about them! They're masonry wasps and they do indeed chew out the pointing. They will try to get inside the cavity and nest there. They can do a lot of (expensive) damage. (As I found to my cost.)

Archived