Is there any point in getting married?

And where is that then?

I guess this is what you are looking for.

Rules of Intestate

Single, Divorced or Widowed

For those people who are single, divorced or widowed then everything will be left firstly to their children.

If they do not have any children then the estate will be left to their parents or to their grandchildren if their children are deceased

If they do not have any parents then the estate will be left to their siblings or their siblings children if their siblings are to deceased

If they do not have siblings then the estate will be left to their grandparents

If they do not have any living grandparents then the estate will be left to any one of their uncles and aunts or their children if they are deceased

If they do not have an uncle or aunt for which the estate can pass to then the estate will pass to the Government

Unmarried Couples

In the case of unmarried couples if one dies without leaving a will then their partner will get nothing. The estate will be treated as if they were a single person and distributed according to the above rules.

Married with no Children

If someone who is married but has no children dies without leaving a will then the first £200,000 of the estate and all the goods, possessions and property and half of the rest of the remaining estate will pass to the surviving spouse.

The rest of the estate will be distributed in accordance with the above rules for single people.

If there are no remaining blood relatives then the surviving spouse will inherit the entire estate.

Married with Children

If someone who is married and has children dies without leaving a will then the first £125,000 of the estate and all the goods, possessions and property and the interest only on half of the rest of the estate will pass to the surviving spouse. This half of the estate will then pass to the children upon the death of the surviving spouse.

The other half with immediately be split equally amongst the children. If they are not yet 18 years of age then it will be held in trust until they reach that age.

I guess this is what you are looking for.

Well not really as I initially suggested that they had made wills. The point is that regardless of whether wills have been made or not an unmarried couple will have to pay estate duty, whereas a married couple won't.

So on an estate of £600K it would make the difference between a married person inheriting the lot or an unmarried partner contributing £110K to the taxman.

Well not really as I initially suggested that they had made wills. The point is that regardless of whether wills have been made or not an unmarried couple will have to pay estate duty, whereas a married couple won't.

So on an estate of £600K it would make the difference between a married person inheriting the lot or an unmarried partner contributing £110K to the taxman.

At last we got there , marriage is a tax fiddle.

Have to say I don't think I would ever get married again. Dont see the point. I dont need a piece of paper to tell me that the man is commited to me and vice versa. If it was mportant to him then maybe I would consider it but he would have to put a good arguement for doing so.

I dont knock anyone who is or wants to get married. It really is a personal choice. Been married it didnt work out. Just one of those things.

I dont celebrate Mothers day either - off topic I know - but I dont need my children to buy over priced presents/flowers to tell me they appreciate me and love me- we tell each other that each day.

I disagree with you on this I was married at age 37 to my husband

in a dress and shoes that cost me £20 with 12 family members

and my only thoughts were about

our future together

Which, in my original post, is why I said SOME people, not all.

I never said everyone only gets married for the party and pretty clothes, some people do this and then wonder why the relationship breaks down in less than a few years... They are the people who only wanted the day, not a long term commitment.

Some people also get married, because they feel its what they 'should' do or because thats what all their friends are doing. You should only marry if both parties want to get married, not for keeping up with the Joness'. Same statement can be applied for those who want children and homes.

Marriage is a HUGE step and should be something thats considered heavily between both those involved.

At last we got there , marriage is a tax fiddle.

I would hardly call it a tax fiddle. It is a way that successive governments sought to protect family businesses. So if for example a farmer had a small 50 acre dairy farm and lived with his (unmarried) partner, if he died his better half would not inherit the farm where they lived and worked, and would very likely be put out of home and business. In many cases it would lead to rather a lot of people losing their jobs. But I'm sure that there are many of the jealous persuasion who would think that was a good thing.

By definition you can only ever sleep with one other person again in your life, which must really get boring after a while!

It sucks emotionally for a woman and financially for a man if you divorce, I mean you get proper taken to the cleaners if you have kids too.

Whats good about marriage? I dont get it? can someone help?:confused:

Archived