NHS spending just £1 on each meal - less than half that spent on prisoners

If you think about it would you rather the food came from a sterile facility off-site or from the kitchen in the hospital where every meal could be contaminated with whatever is floating around in the air at the time ?

Food preparation areas can be pressurized to force the air out, whilst fresh, clean & sterile air is pumped in!

The cost of prisoner food is a strange one.

Of course we should be civilized and feed our fellow peoples, but not at the expense of others.

If we feed a prisoner better than an unemployed man, are we not condemning those temporarily without work to jail?

What do you put in your under-24p packed lunches?

Do your children like them?

If you can't make a packed lunch for 24p, what makes you think the school can feed your child for so little?

Could it be that the budget for free meals in primary schools in Sheffield works at about 24p per head for each of the children attending primary schools? (The majority of whom do not get free school meals.)

Think you have the wrong end of the stick Rupert.

The packed lunch that I make will cost significantly more than 24p, so it's not that I'm wanting or trying to make a lunch for <24p, but this is how much school meals are being provided for in primary schools.

Think you have the wrong end of the stick Rupert.

The packed lunch that I make will cost significantly more than 24p, so it's not that I'm wanting or trying to make a lunch for <24p, but this is how much school meals are being provided for in primary schools.

If you check again, I think you will find that no school (or anywhere else) can or does feed a child for 24p.

You said that: 'the budget for primary school meals in Sheffield is just 24 pence per head.'

That could well be so. If you consider a school with 350 children, 50 of whom get free meals and the budget is 24p per head, then the school receives 350*0.24 = £84 to spend on the free meals for those children who are entitled to them. That works out at £1.68 per meal.

Those who are not entitled to a free meal pay for their food.

The budget was 24p per head.

The meals cost £1.68 each.

300 children pay for their meal (or bring a packed lunch.)

50 children get a free meal.

Afaik it is not per head for the whole school it is per head for the number they expect to uptake school dinners, and it isn't just for the free ones, since people on free school meals get the same as those that pay £1.90, so they have to provide a meal at 24p which they then sell to the customer for £1.90.

Why don't you check with the school? I'm sure it's not a 'state secret' how much they spend per meal.

Much of school funding is provided 'per capita', not tailored to each individual pupil.

If you can find out how to feed somebody (even at the standard of 'school meals' ;)) for 24p, there's a business opportunity there.

You could sell the meals for a quid a time to people working in Sheffield and become fairly wealthy. - 300% profit is hardly shabby.

If you sold the franchise, you might even outsell McDonalds.:hihi:

If you check again, I think you will find that no school (or anywhere else) can or does feed a child for 24p.

You said that: 'the budget for primary school meals in Sheffield is just 24 pence per head.'

That could well be so. If you consider a school with 350 children, 50 of whom get free meals and the budget is 24p per head, then the school receives 350*0.24 = £84 to spend on the free meals for those children who are entitled to them. That works out at £1.68 per meal.

Those who are not entitled to a free meal pay for their food.

The budget was 24p per head.

The meals cost £1.68 each.

300 children pay for their meal (or bring a packed lunch.)

50 children get a free meal.

I doubt they would report it as such.

24p would easily do 4 slice bread, 2 slice processed chicken, tidy mark up.

Or side it with some beans (which would be relatively expensive!).

The cost of prisoner food is a strange one.

Of course we should be civilized and feed our fellow peoples, but not at the expense of others.

If we feed a prisoner better than an unemployed man, are we not condemning those temporarily without work to jail?

we are NOT feeding prisoners at the expense of others, in their frothing rage people are forgetting one thing

both the nhs and prison services are completely different and seperate services.

BOTh have different budgets and i imagine the nhs is far bigger than the prison service?

Archived