Whats everyones view on alternative therapies??

Hi, I have got an acupuncture clinic in Kiveton Park, Sheffield. Just wondering what everyones views were on alternative therapies and if acupuncture or any other therapies have worked for you?

Would love to hear your thoughts

Honestly? I tried acupuncture once, I was very open minded about it and willing to give it a try. I paid quite a lot to see someone who came very well recommended. And I hated every moment. It was painful at times (had needles in my feet/toes, which I appreciate aren't fleshy!) and I felt like my personal space was really invaded, I wasn't comfortable at all. I didn't go back.

x

Not sure about accupuncture, tried it once and it didn't seem to have any effect.

I have tried Hypnotherapy though and found that helped to ease my neck and shoulder pain after just a few sessions... much more than 2 years worth of physio did!!!

Honestly? I tried acupuncture once, I was very open minded about it and willing to give it a try. I paid quite a lot to see someone who came very well recommended. And I hated every moment. It was painful at times (had needles in my feet/toes, which I appreciate aren't fleshy!) and I felt like my personal space was really invaded, I wasn't comfortable at all. I didn't go back.

x

I have acupuncture every week, it's been proven clinically effective in clinical trials for what I am being treated for. Aside from that I actually find it incredibly relaxing. I am a very tense person, find it incredibly hard to relax and have chronic insomnia but I usually fall asleep on the treatment table with all the needles in me! I barely have any pain when the go in and once they are in I can't feel them at all.

I did a course (diploma level 3) in Holistic Therapies in 2009 and really enjoyed it. I think (my opinion) people have a treatment (Reflexology/ Aromatherapy etc) to take time out to relax which helps to relieve stress and helps to unwind the mind. Aromatherapy massage was the most relaxing form of therapy for me as the smell of the essential oils is lovely. Unfortunatley due to the current financial crisis no one has any money to spend on relaxation and so had to get a job to pay the bills ! Can't afford these fancy spas !

I highly recommend hypnotherapy (but then I would!) and it is great to hear reports on just how effective it was for Kaye2812. I must admit that I do struggle to get my head around some of the other techniques that come under the complimentary/alternative therapy umbrella. If they work on an individual basis then that can only be a good thing I suppose. It doesn't really matter if it is placebo effect or an actual effect - anything that can help the person be better than they were is great.

I do have a bit of a thing about some of these practices being dressed up to appear to be more than they are. Bradlittlepup said acupuncture was clinically effective. If s/he is on about the same study I saw it said sticking needles in you could be effective but it doesn't matter where you stick them for them to be effective. So all that chakras and energy lines stuff is just window dressing that is based on nothing that has any substance or evidence. Same with reiki, I just don't believe that it can do anything at all. Like I said though, it does work for some people and however that result is gained if they feel better as a result then great!

I think all alternative therapies get a lot of stick, people are very skeptical about them. I have to say when I first started training in acupuncture I didnt believe a word the tutors said and thought chinese medicine theories were a load of rubbish...but after using the principles in practice and treating patients based on these theories, I have to say that it is amazing what results can be achieved.

You have to be careful looking at clinical studies as many are very very poor quality. Acupuncture researchers are trying to improve the quality of studies so more realistic results can be seen.

Great to hear everyones views though! I think alternative therapies are going to grow and grow in the medical sector.

Well I've tried hypnotherapy before to no avail, accupuncture ermmm also to no avail the only sort of alternative therapy I've had that worked at all was chiropracty and that was only cos they cracked my back and got it moving again after many years of physios giving me muscle exercises for a joint problem.

I highly recommend hypnotherapy (but then I would!) and it is great to hear reports on just how effective it was for Kaye2812. I must admit that I do struggle to get my head around some of the other techniques that come under the complimentary/alternative therapy umbrella. If they work on an individual basis then that can only be a good thing I suppose. It doesn't really matter if it is placebo effect or an actual effect - anything that can help the person be better than they were is great.

I do have a bit of a thing about some of these practices being dressed up to appear to be more than they are. Bradlittlepup said acupuncture was clinically effective. If s/he is on about the same study I saw it said sticking needles in you could be effective but it doesn't matter where you stick them for them to be effective. So all that chakras and energy lines stuff is just window dressing that is based on nothing that has any substance or evidence. Same with reiki, I just don't believe that it can do anything at all. Like I said though, it does work for some people and however that result is gained if they feel better as a result then great!

No, for what I'm being treated for there have been a number of studies on this specific condition with very positive results. I am using it as complimentary to traditional western treatment and it aims to support that, well my practitioner does.

Also, if you go in for an op at Sheffield Hospital now they will offer you an acupuncture pin to deal with sickness afterwards so it does have some mainstream acceptance.

Archived