Ex-Israeli president gets 7 years for rape

But, but... it's the only democracy in the Middle East! - how can that be?!

It is one of the only democracies in the vicinity (Lebanon afaik hold regular elections too) and hopefully soon Egypt will join them. Democracy does not equal zero corruption though.

We have to give credit to the justice system, it does work when the victim is Jewish, but if the victim had been an Arab, now that would invite a totally different verdict.

Utter rubbish!

In neighbouring countries though, the rape victim is likely to be beaten, stoned, whipped etc. Is that justice?

Utter rubbish!

In neighbouring countries though, the rape victim is likely to be beaten, stoned, whipped etc. Is that justice?

Excuse me for pointing out the obvious but a justice system of a country isn't based on the neighbouring countrys' justice systems, so why use that as a justification. You know well the assertion is a lie but seem happy to peddle it for reinforcing the stereotype. Please try reading the other poster's example confirming my suspicion.

It is one of the only democracies in the vicinity (Lebanon afaik hold regular elections too) and hopefully soon Egypt will join them. Democracy does not equal zero corruption though.
Oh plleeeese, not that 'only democracy' in the middle east garbage again.:gag: The state is openly racist when it claims to be a Jewish state and denies a large part of the people of the land their voting rights. How can it be called a democracy when it doesn't even give normal human rights to people at it's mercy?

Because other countries are worse, Israel should be exonerated from all its' institutionalised racial prejudice and violence? Good point? By the same logic, those countries where you reckon rape victims are whipped and stoned, aren't as bad as Rwanda, where millions were killed just for being from the wrong tribe, so we shouldn't criticise backwards bigots because somebody else somewhere is even worse than they are. Is that it? Is that the point you are making?

Oh plleeeese, not that 'only democracy' in the middle east garbage again.:gag:The state is openly racist when it claims to be a Jewish state and denies a large part of the people of the land their voting rights. How can it be called a democracy when it doesn't even give normal human rights to people at it's mercy?

It is a Jewish state, the only one in the world. There are far more Islamic states. By your logic, they must be racist. Non-Muslims and minorities in many of those countries are denied rights too and heavily discriminated against or persecuted.

People in Israel have better rights and more freedoms than any of their surrounding nations, including Israeli Arabs and/or Muslims in Israel.

It is a Jewish state, the only one in the world. There are far more Islamic states. By your logic, they must be racist. Non-Muslims and minorities in many of those countries are denied rights too and heavily discriminated against or persecuted.

People in Israel have better rights and more freedoms than any of their surrounding nations, including Israeli Arabs and/or Muslims in Israel.

Yes rights to live in refugee camps for their entire lives, very good.

The only Jewish state that claims to be a democracy though, which you agree is nothing of the sort as it is just as bad as the Arabic discriminating dictatorships surrounding it. So what is the democracy rubbish advertised for then?

Because other countries are worse, Israel should be exonerated from all its' institutionalised racial prejudice and violence? Good point? By the same logic, those countries where you reckon rape victims are whipped and stoned, aren't as bad as Rwanda, where millions were killed just for being from the wrong tribe, so we shouldn't criticise backwards bigots because somebody else somewhere is even worse than they are. Is that it? Is that the point you are making?

Obviously not the point I was making otherwise that's what I'd have said.

Why don't you read the post I was replying to and then my reply before extending your erroneous perception of logic to other situations?

The allegation was a Jewish man convicted of raping an Arab would be treated more favourably than a Jewish man who'd raped a Jew, which no evidence has been presented to support this (a single case of an Arab convicted of raping a Jew does not support the assertion), so is utter rubbish imo as stated.

I then went on to state what happens to rape victims in some other countries in the region. I did not say this exonerates anything, or even indicate anything would need to be.

Obviously not the point I was making otherwise that's what I'd have said.

Why don't you read the post I was replying to and then my reply before extending your erroneous perception of logic to other situations?

The allegation was a Jewish man convicted of raping an Arab would be treated more favourably than a Jewish man who'd raped a Jew, which no evidence has been presented to support this (a single case of an Arab convicted of raping a Jew does not support the assertion), so is utter rubbish imo as stated.

I then went on to state what happens to rape victims in some other countries in the region. I did not say this exonerates anything, or even indicate anything would need to be.

Utter crap, no evidence that is what always happens to rape victims in other counties. Why is it you can express opinion which as it transpires reflects the anti Muslim line closely but anything I post has to be posted with evidence for your consumption? I do contend that the Arabs don't get a fair deal in Israel despite the Law of equality on the statute books.

Archived