Advice for a day of drinking in Sheffield!

corkesw

I think there are people here who are recommending stuff that simply doesn't fit the bill - Revolution; Wetherspoons; Lloyds; S1; Old Monk are absolutely the anti-thesis of drinking in the Northern Quarter.

Unfortunately Sheffield doesn't have the drinking scene to compete with the NQ (we could have had if the Cultural Industries Quarter hadn't been bought up by SHU and is now being sat on by landowners waiting for the market to pick up - but that's another ranting thread for another day); small, independent bars are few and far between. If they are out there then they're hiding well.

Sheffield is a pub-based city; I struggle to think of a city with as many quality real ale boozers and 'proper' pubs as Sheffield.

Based on all of the above and trying (really hard) to stick to a NQ type vibe I'd recommend trying out:

Sheffield Tap (in the station)

Rutland Hotel (Paternoster Row)

The Roebuck (Arundel Gate)

The Frog & Parrot (Division Street)

The Old House (Division Street)

The Forum (Division Street)

Green Room (Division Street!)

Old Number 7 (West Street - but I'm not sure it's open in the day)

The Wick At Both Ends (West Street)

...and then home.

You've made me realise how long it is since I've been out in Manc. I need to get back.

That's a reasonable list, but I'd insert the Showroom Cinema's Bar after the Tap and Henry's instead of Roebuck.

On a side note, the Northern Quarter isn't all about the 'look at me aren't I trendy' Nathan Barley-type bars of the last few years. The proper pubs helped that area's regeneration and Dry and the rest that followed in the early 90s and since, have complemented them. That area has some marvellous (and some awful) so-called 'old man's pubs' which I've been going in since I was a very young man, and will continue to visit until I am in fact an 'old man'! So I wouldn't dismiss them, or the ones in Sheff. Just give them all a try at least once.

yes I agree but also Kelham Island Tavern

riverside, harlequin, walk upto fagans, then upto red deer, then onto west street to some of the decent bars later that night. the first few pubs are real ale type places where you can start off steady, talk and get a proper drink. west st is then a hole, but you wont care, and some of the trendier bars arent bad by late night when you are past caring, then you can get a greasy take away or go for a proper curry. (nirmhals etc)

Start at the top of west street, have a pint in each bar till you get to the bottom, then if you're still alive go to Babylon then Reflex.

... and if you did this, you'd be put off Sheffield for life.

Archived