Just had dodgy phone call about my computer!!

It's getting quite common now. It's just another scam to try and get money out of you.

They infect your computer and demand money to "fix" it. If you refuse to pay they leave you with a virus infection. NEVER switch on your computer if asked over the phone.

Don't worry, they can't infect your PC, all they want is your details to scam you out of money!

Some guy phoned at 6pm asking if he could ask me some questions about my broadband, I told him I was busy and asked if he could ring back in an hour, 6.30 phone goes and it's him again, he said he was from some company, didn't make out the name, and was I ready to switch on my computer, I said that I thought he was just going to ask me questions about broadband, he got quite upset and said I had agreed he could phone me back at 6.30 and that I would be prepared to do what he wanted, he said he had fully explained it all to me earlier, I got quite annoyed with him back and said he hadn't explained anything and that he had phoned 30mins earlier than agreed. Anyway, he asked if I was ready to switch on computer, I told him no, and asked why he wanted that, he got annoyed and said he could tell from my server that I was about to get a nasty virus and he needed to do some checks.

I had no intention of switching on my computer for him, so I told him that my computer was in another room without a phone so couldn't possibly do both at same time, he got quite annoyed and kept saying I had agreed to do this.

I asked him if I was going to do what he asked ( which I had no intention of) could he answer some of my questions first, I said tell me some information about my computer then, like who is my broadband with, he said yes I can tell you that, you are with BT...............Wrong!!!!! I then told him that he was up to no good, and he couldn't get off phone quick enough,lol

When I did 1471 number came up as 008000, tried to ring it back and just dead line.

Anyone else had this call?

My Step-Mother had a similar call a couple of weeks ago along with some of her art group cronies. They seem to be preying on the elderly.

Guest sibon
I have six for sale they're better than his. All you have to do is sign your soul away.

I have a soul for sale. Priced at just seven beans.

It's getting quite common now. It's just another scam to try and get money out of you.

They infect your computer and demand money to "fix" it. If you refuse to pay they leave you with a virus infection. NEVER switch on your computer if asked over the phone.

I thought usually it was to gain access to your computer by conning you into giving them access in order to steal financial information and install software that would enable them to do that, never heard of infecting with a virus then demanding money to fix it, I'm sure that wouldn't work anyway as plenty of other people could fix the virus and you'd have no guarantee they'd actually done it them being criminals and all.

Archived