Tv switchover / digi Q.

All analogue transmissions of BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5 will cease. As a result, terrestrial digital transmissions (Freeview) will improve in signal level (they're currently limited to reduce interferance on the analogue transmissions).

You can get Freesat and Freesat from Sky though a dish and set to box for free (after installation).

Best thing to do is ensure that you have an analogue television only. No digital Freeview box, no cable, no satellite. You will still be able to play DVDs, video games etc and the BBC TV Licensing man cannot touch you.

As an added bonus it will also mean that you save yourself £145.50 EVERY YEAR - and the 'Comic' Relief rubbish will never soil your TV screen again.

Installing a dish and decoder's not very difficult, but getting the dish lined up can be a pain. You can buy signal meters to get one lined up properly, but it may be a bit of a waste of money. If you're happy to have a go (and in the knowledge that if you can't get a signal, you'll have to pay for someone to come out and do it), I'd buy the kit (loads of online retailers, Maplin's do kits too), and try setting it up using the signal meter built into most set top boxes and a handly family member to shout "back a bit", "no too far" out the window.

Can I realistically get a dish & decoder 2nd hand then fit it myself (being a handy sort of chap), or will I need to actually be a rocket scientist or pay a rocket scientist to fit it?

Cheers ta

Physically bolting the dish to the wall and wiring up the LNB to your box is only 10% of the installation. The rest is actually finding and pointing the dish towards the satellite. You can buy satellite signal finders but you need to make sure that they will find digital signals not analogue. Also with this type of kit, cheap & cheerful isn't the way to go. If at this point you're still willing to do it yourself, take the afternoon of work.

Archived