Water meter megathread

Is it possible to have a trial period with them? I seem to remember that you could have a trial period to see if it was advantageous whether to have a meter or not.

Yes there is such a scheme.

Contact the water board (in Sheffield, it's Yorkshire Water, or Severn-Trent Water, depending on what area you live in)

The general rule of thumb, says that, if you have more bedrooms than the number of occupants in the property, then it is worth your while, going from water rates to having a meter fitted.

I am now on a water meter, (It's a post-1991-build) and I was panicking, when I moved into this property expecting ridiculous bills. However, it's been a lot less expensive as I'm only paying for what is actually used.

• 4 months later...

Was just wanting an idea of wether we would be better off with a water meter. We live in a 3 bedroom detached house, there is 2 adults and 2 children and my water bill is £51.00 a month over 10 months, this seems a bit steep to me, was was just wondering what other people are paying with a similar sized house, on a meter or not.

Our water rates used to be £56 per month so we changed to a meter... we now pay £24! There are only 2 of us in a 3 bed semi though. There is a calculator on the Yorkshire Water website which will give you an estimate on your monthly payments based on a few questions, see below link:

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water-services/water-meters/water-meter-calculator.aspx

might be worth mentioning that if you do have a big house/large family (like us) they do a high user tariff for water meters.

we find it loads cheaper.

my washing machine/dishwasher/shower/bath never stop, granny annex uses the same meter....still only aprox 28-30 per month :)