Water meter megathread

If you get one fitted and don't like it (wrong colour or whatever), you can have it removed so long as you decide within 12 months.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water-services/water-meters/applying-for-a-water-meter.aspx

G

Yes, and this is why you'd be mad not to try it!

Large semi, dishwasher, washing machine on every other day bills no more than £60 per qtr. Rule of thumb is more bedrooms than people then get one but what have you to lose?

Also....I don't worry about the usage, watched every drop at first but I don't think twice now, obviously we don't leave taps running but we're not overly careful.

Hope this helps :)

I would hate to have to think about paying every time I flush the loo or run a tap. I like the idea of a flat rate regardless of how much water we use in our household.

If it was metered I'd get stingy and not use so much water, feel bad about having a bath rather than a shower,etc. Normally there's only two of us in the house, three when our son stays so probably we would pay less with a meter, but I'm willing to pay a little bit more not to have to worry about how much water we're using.

Does it not depend on the rateable value of your house?

If there a just a couple of you in a big house then generally a water meter will be cheaper, likewise if there a several of you in a low rateable value house then stick with the old method especially if you are keen gardners or have lots of cars to wash.

Isn't there something about having a meter fitted thet subsequent residents can't go back to water rates and have to keep the meter?

I'd save a little bit of money having a meter, but there's only two of us living here full time. If I opted for a meter we would save money, but if a large family moved in when we sell the house they would pay way more than we pay.

Is an unmetered house a good selling point in this instance?

I would hate to have to think about paying every time I flush the loo or run a tap. I like the idea of a flat rate regardless of how much water we use in our household.

If it was metered I'd get stingy and not use so much water, feel bad about having a bath rather than a shower,etc. Normally there's only two of us in the house, three when our son stays so probably we would pay less with a meter, but I'm willing to pay a little bit more not to have to worry about how much water we're using.

How much do you pay now for your water?

It's something like £2.50 per cubic metre of water - that's 1,000 litres.

The things that use the most water in a household are things like a toilet - between 3 and 10 litres per flush.

Washing machine - about 70 litres (I think)

Dishwasher - about 17 litres

Bath/Shower - measure the flow rate in your shower and multiply that by the time in there.

When we moved to our house, I think that we were told that we'd use about 168 cubic metres of water a year. That works out at around £35 a month for a family of four. We actually use less that that.

If you don't have a meter, the water rates are based on the old rateable value of the house - that's the value that the poll tax replaced in about 1989. So, if you live in a posh house in a posh area, you're going to get charged more for your water.

I used to go to college with someone from Scottish water and was told that the water authorities had to come up with another method of charging customers by the year 2000 - I can only assume that this never happened.

We'd love to get a water meter but are renting so we are unsure if we'd need the landlord's permission beforehand.
Do you need your landlord's permission to decide who to buy gas or electricity from? Non-shared utilities consumption is occupier's responsibility, not owner's responsibility.

Yorkshire Water's application page is here: http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water-services/water-meters/applying-for-a-water-meter.aspx

Do you need your landlord's permission to decide who to buy gas or electricity from? Non-shared utilities consumption is occupier's responsibility, not owner's responsibility.

Yorkshire Water's application page is here: http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-water-services/water-meters/applying-for-a-water-meter.aspx

Having a water meter installed is different to choosing who to get gas or electric from or being responsible for paying utility bills.

If Taxman had this done then when he moved in a few years the meter would stay making the bills for a large family more expensive therefore making the property unsuitable for some tennants.

My friend and his brother live next door to each other both in 3 bed terraces with 3 kids each.

One's house has a meter and other's is on water rates and the one with a meter pays more than what his brothers water rate bill is.

I would discuss it with the landlord as doing it without asking first may not go down too well.

We rent houses out and would not like it if a tennant just went ahead and had a meter installed as unlike token meter's a water meter becomes permanant after 12 mths.

don't do it, in the long run it will become a nightmare, can you get rid if it doesn't woke out, if so how much. will it effect you house price, will they cut you off when you cant pay due to loosing your job, or your pension doesn't amount to much. remember they always get their money! when they can charge for air they will