Water meter megathread

I don't like the concept of metering, especially for those who need to count the pennies, such as large families...

Hang on, how do you justify that?

There are two people in my family. If we want to eat, we buy food.

Because of the way in which food is packaged (and the quantities in which it is sold) we usually have to buy more than we need.

If we want to eat a cheeseburger, I buy 1lb of beef, cut it in half, stick half in the freezer, make the other half into 2 burgers and cook them.

I don't have to pay extra for my beef just because I won't eat it all at one go.

You appear to be saying that people with big families should be subsidised by people with smaller families?

Why is that?

I advocate 'Pay for what you use'

You appear to be suggesting that some other people should pay for what you use.

Why is that? Would you care to explain why people should not have to pay for what they consume?

We do, after all, have a welfare system designed to help those who cannot pay. You appear to be suggesting that 'the consumer' [and (s)he, after all, is the person who does pay] should pay extra to pay for the consumption of those who can't be bothered to pay and expect somebody else to pay for them.

We had a meter fitted 4 years ago. We were paying approx £500 per year. After fitting the meter the cost went to £190 per year.

We now average about £160 per year.

We don't use any less water than we did before.

Until every household goes on a water metre by law (It's going to happen one day). Then the suppliers will increase the tariff. Customers will then use less water which hits the profit of the suppliers who will then offset the shortfall by increasing the tariff. Customers will then use less water .... so on and so on

Why?, it's /their/ money that's paying the water bill, not yours.

Read the post again, a water meter is a totally different thing to having a token meter for gas or electric regardless of who is paying and it is our property not theirs to which the water meter will be fitted.

Blame Yorkshire water because it is their rules that state the meter cannot be removed after 12mths.

The tenants will not be taking the water meter with them when they leave will they?

Read the post again, a water meter is a totally different thing to having a token meter for gas or electric regardless of who is paying and it is our property not theirs to which the water meter will be fitted.

Blame Yorkshire water because it is their rules that state the meter cannot be removed after 12mths.

The tenants will not be taking the water meter with them when they leave will they?

Quite.

The fact that the water companies are very keen to install meters and won't go back to unmetered supply once one is installed tells you all you need to know.

They make more money from metered water.

Not from every single household, but on average they make more from metered households.

Yes, but make sure you check everything for leaks first.

We had a leaky seal in the toilet, causing it to very slowly, but constantly, drip water from the cistern into the bowl. It wasn't pouring out, just a very slow trickle so we didn't notice it - until we got a huge water bill from Yorkshire Water.

To give them credit they wrote to us to alert us, advised us on how to check, and then refunded most of the extra charge when they knew it was a genuine leak - about £350.

Since then I check every month or so. When the toilet is not in use, there should be nothing coming down from the cistern to the bowl - an easy way to check - get a bit of an old toilet roll holder and press it against the back of the bowl - if any water starts to gather on it - even a tiny bit, then you have a leak which could cost £100's if you don't get it fixed.

In that case you should pay the water bill and include it in the rent.

Quite.

The fact that the water companies are very keen to install meters and won't go back to unmetered supply once one is installed tells you all you need to know.

They make more money from metered water.

Not from every single household, but on average they make more from metered households.

The average bill is lower for people with a meter so the water company can’t be making more money, the company also have higher overheads to cover for metered properties and they don’t know how much water a un-meter property uses. Most people that have a meter installed will have a lower bill especially if they use some common sense methods to cut their water usage.

I would expect water meters to become compulsory at some point which in my opinion is the right thing to do.

Just had a second thought, if fitting a meter encourages a user to reduce the water they use, then the company will have to purify less water and the result could be an higher profit for the company but that doesn’t change the fact that the consumers bill is also lower.

Sounds like win win to me.

Edited by MrSmith

Hang on, how do you justify that?

Most of the cost of supplying water to your house is not dependent on the amount you use. Whether you use 1 litre or 10 litres it still has to travel through the same supply system, which needs to be maintained to the same standard. Only a tiny amount of the price you pay is down to the actual volume of water you use.

In other words - a low volume user costs the water company almost the same as a high volume user.

I am thinking of having a water meter installed as I have been told that it would work out cheaper than the £52 : 00 per month which we are presently paying for our water rates. There is only two of us living at home so our water consumtion shouldn't be too great. Has anyone any experience of this move and if so, is it a cheaper way of obtaining water?

Looking forward to any comments or advice

Stonks

Need a little more information. How often do you take baths compared to showers. Do you live in a house or a flat? Are you interested in gardening & how do you make provision to water the garden? Do you drive & if so how many cars to wash?

Lot of questions I know but should be able to give you a guide.