Fuel duty cut??

It wouldn't help on the keeping-earth-in-a-habitable-state front. Burning petrol incurs hideous environmental costs.

Well of course, but then so does a majority of power generation for the entire country and indeed world, short of coming up with a completely dependable, and safe alternative then any kind of production will "kill the world" a little bit more each time.

So if a terrorist was to burn a builiding down using petrol in the UK, we would actually be funding that in some part?? :o

Yes, what an outrage! And that evil Tory Osborne is helping them!

Being serious for a moment, petrol is subject to a hideous rate of taxes and duties from the raw product.

And it will now be subsidised by all

So in effect anyone who doesn't drive, will now be subsidising our fuel.

no, people who drive will be subsiding everything else in a stable way from now on.

Being serious for a moment, petrol is subject to a hideous rate of taxes and duties from the raw product.
With ref to my earlier post, there is a 39% difference (£1.389 here, £0.998 there) between UK and LU diesel price/litre, and a 35% difference (£1.389 here, £1.172 there) between UK and FR diesel price/litre.

I don't know about the UK price, but I do know that the LU price includes an austerity measure uplift (over and above the 'normal' duty+VAT, VAT being 15% over there). VAT is 19.6% for the FR price/litre. All of the above is current/as of 23 March 2011.

That leads me to conclude that there's got to be either (i) some seriously expensive refining processes used in the UK, or (ii) a seriously expensive duty rate. Or maybe both :huh:

With ref to my earlier post, there is a 39% difference (£1.389 here, £0.998 there) between UK and LU diesel price/litre.

I don't know about the UK price, but I do know that the LU price includes an austerity measure uplift (over and above the 'normal' duty+VAT, VAT being 15% over there).

That leads me to conclude that there's got to be either (i) some seriously expensive refining processes used in the UK, or (ii) a seriously expensive duty rate. Or maybe both :huh:

It's difficult to take just one item out of a revenue/spend system and ask why isn't ours the same..I don't know what other taxes are like there and how it's spent..

Archived