Fuel duty cut??

It's difficult to take just one item out of a revenue/spend system and ask why isn't ours the same..I don't know what other taxes are like there and how it's spent..
That is a fair point.

Nevertheless, the contribution of oil products to the economy (which is essentially service-based, like ours, in fact probably much more so) is entirely comparable, irrespective of country scale.

I do know first-hand that LU personal direct + indirect taxation is very inferior to the UK, the cost of living somewhat similar, and the 'advantages' (redistribution of tax revenue for social/family/health/etc.) much better.

I also do know first-hand that FR personal direct + indirect taxation is greater than the UK, the cost of living generally lower, and the 'advantages' (redistribution of tax revenue for social/family/health/etc.) better (but less so than LU, by some margin).

That is a fair point.

Nevertheless, the contribution of oil products to the economy (which is essentially service-based, like ours, in fact probably much more so) is entirely comparable, irrespective of country scale.

I do know first-hand that LU personal direct + indirect taxation is very inferior to the UK, the cost of living somewhat similar, and the 'advantages' (redistribution of tax revenue for social/family/health/etc.) much better.

I also do know first-hand that FR personal direct + indirect taxation is greater than the UK, the cost of living generally lower, and the 'advantages' (redistribution of tax revenue for social/family/health/etc.) better (but less so than LU, by some margin).

What about business taxes etc...do they have the same amount of "hangers on"? Not sure a straight "they pay less personal tax" is valid..can I just confirm that we're talking about Luxembourg? A Duchy with a population of 500,000 and one of the highest per capita GDP's in the world? I don't think we're comparing like with like really..

You're 1p/litre better off than you were yesterday. You're 6p/litre better off than you would have been if Labour's old policy were still in force.

Well I'm not really as yesterday the petrol at our local petrol station was £131.9, this morning it was £132.9, so it's just going back to what it was yesterday! Bet those filling up this morning will be kicking themselves!:hihi::hihi:

What about business taxes etc...do they have the same amount of "hangers on"? Not sure a straight "they pay less personal tax" is valid..
Well, for most punters, petrol at the pump is usually paid from their (after-personal-tax) income, so I didn't think corpo/business taxes were as important. But, hey-ho.

FR corporate tax is 33.3% base + 3% overtax (34.3% effective). That excludes employment fund taxation ('NI') (varies from sector to sector and between locations, it usually amounts to between 50% and 90% of gross annual wage for each employee). There's rates as well, again varies between locations, can't be @rsed looking up the actual % but it's not cheap, from bills I've seen.

LU corporate tax is 20% (<€15k annual) or 21% (>€15k annual) + 4% employment fund tax ('NI') + 6.75% MBTP ('rates'). That's all of it.

A Duchy with a population of 500,000 and one of the highest per capita GDP's in the world? I don't think we're comparing like with like really..
Which is why I've also thrown France in the mix (early on) for good measure. Comparable size, population, economy, and more tax burden/liabilities than the UK. And still a 35% differential ;)

Anyway, I've grossly digressed, sorry to bore you all.

1p.

Wow.

Local pumps around S25 go up and down by at least that every other day, I doubt anyone will notice at all. I mean, Shell on the A57 this morning, diesel was £1.389 a litre. I couldn't believe my eyes. Nor that the forecourt was packed.

And £1 more per 20 cigs. That's me packing the fags for good, then. Good, I'm fed up of subsidising the NHS all by my lonesome anti-social self :D

morrisons at meadowhead WAS 130.9, its just gone up to 131.9, and with the penny off, its back to where it was, talk about being royally ripped off here!!!!

130.9? It was 138.9 when I was there at 12.00 so if it's now 130.9 that's a hell of a reduction!

Archived