Fuel duty cut??

I suppose, but after a 20p rise over the past year, a 1p reduction is nothing to write home about really.
What the man with a most discerning taste in gaming says :D

This is a genuine question 'cos I don't know the answer..has any other gov. cut fuel duty in the past?
If you meant any Gvt, then at least France in 2006.

In the face of the rise in oil prices, a reduction in the rate of the TIPP for fuel sold to consumers was adopted by the Parliament in 2006.

'TIPP' is the acronym for the tax levied by the French Gvt on petroleum products (about €1 in the €1.35 price/liter, note that another €0.01 to €0.02 of the balance goes to local Gvt, which has powers to vary that amount...a little :hihi:)

I can't remember if this was prompted by lorry drivers/strikes at the time, but it didn't last long. Unsurprisingly, as it's a big earner. It's in the top 6 or 7 taxes for income, brings in about €25bn annually (VAT brings in about €142bn, NHS individual levy ('CSG') brings in about €72bn, income tax brings in about €53bn and corporate tax brings in about €44bn, last figures I saw).

If you meant a UK Gvt, dunno, sorry.

My bold.

Being the operative word.

In the same sense as, say,

'would not have cut public services',

'would not have RIF'd the armed forces',

'would have kept tuition-free university',

etc. ;)

The 5p "ledger entry" was never made, so it never happened. The end :)

Agreed but is does worry me a little when some folk get a kicking then lie down and ask for more of something that never happened. :hihi:

My bold.

Being the operative word.

In the same sense as, say,

'would not have cut public services',

'would not have RIF'd the armed forces',

'would have kept tuition-free university',

etc. ;)

The 5p "ledger entry" was never made, so it never happened. The end :)

Wasn't it legislated to happen though? thats the point.

morrisons at meadowhead WAS 130.9, its just gone up to 131.9, and with the penny off, its back to where it was, talk about being royally ripped off here!!!!

I saw exactly the same thing at a BP garage. On my way to work 131.9 on my way back at 5.30pm 132.9

Greedy companies taking the 1p per letre for themselves and for them its worth a fortune!

Archived