Bees - Please dont kill them

No advocate of Wasps but they have an important roll to play in the ecosystem, more obviously than most of you care to consider :D

You don't happen to have a link that expands on this thought? I'm genuinely interested.

I'm again one of those people who doesn't mind bees but can't stand wasps! The bees this year are massive though!
The big bees you're seeing out and about right now are probably bumble bees. They're great, aren't they? They live in holes in in the ground or in walls, and are solitary bees, not hive bees. You'll also see other solitary bees like leafcutters that also live in holes in walls and cut pieces out of rose leaves to line their egg cells with.

You can't really mistake bees and wasps. Wasps are smooth and not furry and covered in pollen like bees usually are. Remember 'wasp waisted' and you won't go wrong. Also wasps even look evil ... kill them!

Edit to add: Just been told that the big fat giant bees aren't bumble bees, so don't know what now. We always called them that. :(

I used to work for the council and once spotted some rather rare plants on The Ponderosa in Upperthorpe. I informed The Ecology Unit who were most excited but unfortunately the "gardeners" mowed them all to buggery before they had a chance to set seed. I asked them what had happened to them and their response was "What, do you mean those weeds?"

Lesson was learned however and in subsequent years areas were set aside to grow naturally until the plants had had a chance to disperse their seeds.

What species were these?

Just been told that the big fat giant bees aren't bumble bees, so don't know what now. We always called them that. :(

The big fat slightly dozy things that are buzzing around bumping into stuff? I thought they were bumblebee queens coming out of hibernation!?

Archived