Bees - Please dont kill them

Edit to add: Just been told that the big fat giant bees aren't bumble bees, so don't know what now. We always called them that. :(

The big fat fuzzy ones are bumble bees although they're not always yellow and black and like Wasps they'll sting if you mess with the nest otherwise they'll leave you alone. Neither are aggressive

I like bees and wasps. Only had one wasp sting, when I put my foot in a shoe and a wasp was in it. Fair play to the wasp. If you leave them alone and can avoid panicking or being scared, you should be OK (they sense fear and panic as do many other animals, which sets them on high alert and makes them more likely to react defensively).

Like most poisonous animals, they invest a lot of energy in producing their venom and won't use it unless they feel genuinely threatened. We often have wasps nests in our garden and even under our back stairs and they're never a bother. I even let them crawl on me. Up close, they are quite beautiful.

Honeybees? What are they? I must have seen maybe one in the last 5 years, they're so scarce these days.

They are plenty of honey bees about but then I like to be on the allotments where they have some hives lol.

A lot of the bees about at the moment are queen bees which are looking to find somewhere to nest. Planting wild flowers and other plants on your garden will help bees not just honey bees but other kinds of bees with pollination. Helps butterflies and moths to do the same thing. I have been told this by a beekeeper this morning.

Please DO NOT kill BEES (particularly cruel and unnecessary is spraying with hairspray) They don't want to be in your house anymore than you want them there so just cover with a glass and slip a piece of card underneath to trap them and then release them outside. Bees are on the decline:sad:

I thought it was against the law now to kill bee's.

The queens are looking for somewhere to nest at the moment, so are the queen wasps. Keep checking the loft and shed.

If I get to the hive whilst it's still fairly small I just put a large jar over it and scrape it along, when it drops in I pop the lid on and empty it at the bottom of the garden.

Archived