What's it like living in Broomhill?

Guest sibon
I enjoyed living there (as a student). It has lost a definate something though since Fat Jacks Diner closed :-( xx

No way. Fat Jack's sold cheap cow in congealed fat, served onto 12" vinyl. What is good about that? Anyway, Thyme Cafe is a pretty good replacement.

OP. Broomhill is a brilliant place to live. It is vibrant and friendly. Good shops, though the comments about the decline of them are not without foundation. The pubs and restaurants are great too. The students are sometimes a bit in your face, but they are generally a force for good.

I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city.

Thanks for all these folks. This is all v positive. The reason I asked is because somedody told me that, in their experience, the residents with the family homes there were a bit snobby and aloof. Any comments o that?

Thanks for all these folks. This is all v positive. The reason I asked is because somedody told me that, in their experience, the residents with the family homes there were a bit snobby and aloof. Any comments o that?

Well there is an element of that. The BANG newsletter is sent around every quarter or so and is full of veiled moaning about the students (they rarely explicitly attack students, but they constantly bleat about the houses of multiple occupation and whinging about the fast food shops daring to stay open beyond 8pm). In a recent letter there was even a complaint that communal hallways "contribute to light pollution".

But that's just BANG, most of the residents are just normal people.

The students are generally brilliant, and it's their presence that keeps the shops thriving. I've been here 7 years and whilst shops come and go, they haven't deteriorated much if at all. Things change that's all.

And the place isn't a ghost town outside of term either. It's just quieter and I love that too. It gives the place a seasonal feel as the numbers ebb and flow.

Great pubs too, something for everyone especially now the York offers something new.

Broomhill is fantastic.

I lived in Broomhill for about 18 months and i really liked it there :) Half the time it is bustling with students, but busy in a *nice* way, and the other half of the time it is very quiet during the student holidays. I liked having the mixture of both. There are a few nice pubs, it's a nice walk into town but there are enough local shops to keep you going.

I only moved up to Crosspool in Oct 2010 as i needed a bigger place.

Archived