Holidays Abroad - where would you recommend?

The Canaries are best in winter because they're the cheapest option for a warm holiday at that time of year. The best holiday I had in recent years was Lisbon. There's a coastline just outside the city with loads of touristy resorts. A trainline runs from Lisbon and connects them all up. Lisbon is a great city with loads of life on the streets. The only disappointment was the tourist office as they were useless at booking anything so book a package if you go. If you're into cities stay in Lisbon and visit the resorts. If you're into beaches stay in a resort and visit Lisbon.

My second choice would be the French Basque Country - Bayonne, Biarritz, etc - another mix of beaches and urban life.

Puerto Pollensa in Majorca is the place to go.Peacefull, (no lager louts) flat, beautiful scenery, clean beaches, places to visit via good local cheap bus service.Plenty of B&B places on the Pine Walk with small beaches in front of them. We have been going for the last 12 years and never tire of it.

benidorm - lots of places competing for your business so the prices come down, also massive beaches, loads of shops and loads to do.

first time i went was for a lads weekend it was then i realised that it could be as noisy or as quiet as i wanted it to be due to the choice of places to go

Although it might not be everyone's cup of tea I'd suggest somewhere like Palma Nova in Majorca. There are loads of package holidays or cheap flights and accomodation in the area. There are large clean beaches with various watersports on offer, it's not a huge distance to the airport and if you get sick of lying around in the resort there are plenty of trips to do such as to Majorca's capital Palma, which is well worth a visit- loads of nice shops, restaurants/cafes, a lovely marina, castle/cathedral area, Port de Soller (I think that's what it's called) you go on an old train through the mountains and end up in a lovely seaside village or to a waterpark- there's one in Magalluf the next resort on from Palma Nova or one the other side of Palma in El Arenal. There's always plenty to see and do in Majorca and in and around Palma Nova lots of public transport.

If you goto Fuerteventura it is warm but breezy contiuously,the name means summat in spanish for wind,i cant remember.You can get an excursion over to Lanzarote in a katamarang and spend the day up on the volcano Timanfayar an absolutely fantastic day out.

this id recommend iv been 3 times its just a lovely place i went to tunisia last yr and deffo never again your harrassed as soon as you go out the hotel you cant go for a nice quiet walk my daughter at 1 piont was dragged into a shop to buy stuff she ended up running back to the hotel they do like blondes and pretty girls. why dont you find a place and check out the travel advisor people give there comments on the places you want to stay in were off to egypt this yr for a change :)

Costa Teguise in Lanzarote. It quiet but if your daughter wants to get into Puerto Del Carmen, about €15 taxi ride into the big resort.

We drank at The Cavern nightly - free wifi & €1 pints. Couldnt beat that. Service was good as well as the live entertainment.

• 1 month later...

Archived