Department store wedding registers

I did an online one - not sure of the name but I can try and find out, theres quite a few now!

It allowed me to add gifts such as from argos or debenhams, but also I could add things such as stuff to do on our honeymoon, we ended up having a couple of cocktails paid for, a meal out, and the money towards a couple of day trips (we went to lanzarote).

They did take a fee, but only a very small one, it was worth it as we'd lived together for 10 years with 3 kids, so didn't really need much household stuff!

I felt bad doing it, but I was told that they are actually really helpful for people who don't know what to get, and that people do want to buy presents!

• 2 weeks later...

I made up and popped a little poem in our invites asking for money as we alrerady had a home with everything in it. Said we would use it for future decorating etc etc. I did point out that they didn't have to give, it was more important that we wanted them as a guest.

Anyway 2 and half years later, we have just moved and spent the money, came in very handy.

i hated the idea of people buying me and my hubby things for our wedding. it just seemed wrong and not the reason why we were getting married and asking people to join us on our special day.

we told people if they had to spend money on us then they could donate it to a charity we support for kids with kidney problems as our daughter has a cystic kidney.

our guest seemed happy to do this and we raised alot of money

I think it is ok these days, when most couples have lived together already and have the things they need. If you don't have a list and you have a lot of guests bringing presents, you end up with 3 toasters and millions of towels.

I'd like to hear unusual/alternative ideas, I feel a bit obliged to have the usual Debenhams/John Lewis list made up of boring casserole dishes and other stuff I don't really care about. If i'm brutally honest I'd prefer money to help us clear some of the debts we'll have racked up having the wedding, and so we can get some work done on our house, but it wouldn't be right to ask for that.

In this day and age it is impolite to leave guests thinking they must trudge round the shops trying to think creatively of gifts. As a guest, it's hell enough figuring out what to wear without the added stress of finding the right gift. A gift list is a godsend!

We contacted Debenhams and John Lewis, but Debenhams were chaotic so we went with John Lewis. We made the right choice according to a friend who went with Debenhams, and had misdeliveries, nothing from the sale could go on the list (so that left out all the crockery ranges which are never actually discontinued, just discounted)...

We did the gift list partly so we wouldn't have an issue getting a multitude of gifts home from the venue, but those of our guests who wanted to give us something on the day brought us JL gift vouchers - which were nearly enough to buy a new sofa :shocked:

There's nothing wrong with asking for vouchers/cash if you have something specific you'd like to use to buy something to start your married life together with

Weddings are all about welcoming new members of the family and giving the couple a good start in their married life, so gift giving is all part of it

Archived