Carrying a knife

but as i said the hassle is in proving what your doing is ok with it.

I was actually arrested and fined for carrying a knife, under very dodgy circumstances.

I was allowed in the local school yard at night to set up and use my telescope, in with my kit was a small sheath knife, amongst numerous lenses, rolls of film etc.

The police were out with the helicopter hunting a burglar, on searching the school grounds i was attacked by a police dog causing my scope and camera to be knocked over and damaged, around 5 or 6 other police turned up too, the dog handler seemed very apologetic, until i asked for his details as i wanted to claim for damage to my gear, soon as i mentioned it they went through my kit, found the small knife and threw me into a van.

In court i was fined £30 an was told i had no right to compensation as the items were damaged during a rightful arrest, or words to that effect.

So, do try to be nice to any officer who should question you. :suspect:

Yes you would - your Stanley knife is a tool of your trade and as such you're perfectly entitled to carry it.

As far as I know no working man has ever been nicked for carrying the tools of his trade.

I'm aware of several people who've been given official cautions for carrying knives through another forum, mostly as part of multitools like leatherman's, despite using them for work purposes. I think they were all stopped while walking to/from work, and as soon as they mentioned (in answer to the "is there anything sharp on you"), they had a leatherman in their pocket, all hell broke loose. It seems the advice from these incidents is that if you need to transport tools which include locking knives, always carry them in a bag and make them inaccessible in a hurry. Do NOT keep it in a trouser pocket - if you're stopped you WILL be arrested.

As far as the Police were concerned, nobody has a valid excuse for carrying a knife, and if you want to contest it, you can do so in court.

or carrying rope, gaff tape and condoms etc.

That's most roadies screwed then :hihi:

I'm aware of several people who've been given official cautions for carrying knives through another forum, mostly as part of multitools like leatherman's, despite using them for work purposes. I think they were all stopped while walking to/from work, and as soon as they mentioned (in answer to the "is there anything sharp on you"), they had a leatherman in their pocket, all hell broke loose. It seems the advice from these incidents is that if you need to transport tools which include locking knives, always carry them in a bag and make them inaccessible in a hurry. Do NOT keep it in a trouser pocket - if you're stopped you WILL be arrested.

As far as the Police were concerned, nobody has a valid excuse for carrying a knife, and if you want to contest it, you can do so in court.

That's most roadies screwed then :hihi:

You can understand it though, well these days, my incident was about 15 years back, every kid had a pocket knife back then. :hihi:

...As far as I know no working man has ever been nicked for carrying the tools of his trade.

It is perfectly acceptable to carry a knife if you have a reasonable excuse... are a chef and are going to work with your knife roll,... All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons.

I know a chef who got 6 months having been apprehended (Not cooking) 'on his way home' from work.

Perhaps if he hadn't passed 'Go' and if he hadn't collected £200, he might not've been stopped.;)

Guest sibon

I carry a knife, fronm August to November. It has a blade at one end and a brush at the other.

My knife does terminal damage to a variety of edible fungi.

I'm not anticipating arrest any time soon.

I carry a knife, fronm August to November. It has a blade at one end and a brush at the other.

My knife does terminal damage to a variety of edible fungi.

I'm not anticipating arrest any time soon.

Post reported to the mycology police.