Is teacher correct regarding inhaler?

My wife took our 5 year old to school on Monday. He suffers from Asthma ad has ann inhaler in a morning and night. Over the weekend he was more wheezie so had to have extra puffs in the day.

Arriving at school my wife advised the teacher he had been struggling a little bit and if he needed it his inhaler was in his bag.

Her reaction was as if he had crack cocaine or a knife if his bag. She took the bag and locked it away. the fact he had taken the same inhler to school every day was by the by.

Political correctness gone mad again.

All medication should be kept locked away at a school - it is done for a reason and is normally kept at the school office :-o

Quite right too.

Teachers are not medically trained.

If an irresponsible parent allows their 5 year old child to have prescribed drugs in their rucksack I'm not surprised the teacher went off alarming.

They are responsible for all childrens well being whilst they are on school premises. Just imagine if said child had allowed other children to use said inhaler and one of the children had an allergic reaction to it ! (it has happened and is not as far fetched as folk would like to imagine). Who would be responsible for that childs demise ?

Quite right too.

Teachers are not medically trained.

If an irresponsible parent allows their 5 year old child to have prescribed drugs in their rucksack I'm not surprised the teacher went off alarming.

They are responsible for all childrens well being whilst they are on school premises. Just imagine if said child had allowed other children to use said inhaler and one of the children had an allergic reaction to it ! (it has happened and is not as far fetched as folk would like to imagine). Who would be responsible for that childs demise ?

Yes, bring out the Sheffield Forum lefties. We are talking an inhaler here !!

I am assuming that you are talking about a Ventolin inhaler ?

In the wrong hands it can cause a rapid heart rate and death.

I am baffled as to why you think it is acceptable to allow a 5 year old child to be responsible for a prescribed drug.:confused:

So? If something awful happened like the child choked on the little cap that goes on the end of it the blame would be on the teachers.

"Why did you let a 5 year old have unsupervised control of his inhaler? We never do that at home."

Etc.

It's nothing to do with 'blame culture' - it's common sense fgs.

Unfortunately its not that simple is it, if something happened to the kid and the kid was in charge of the inhaler it would come down to the school or the teacher and they would be liable.

I'm not saying its correct but its true.

Archived