Is teacher correct regarding inhaler?

Unfortunately its not that simple is it, if something happened to the kid and the kid was in charge of the inhaler it would come down to the school or the teacher and they would be liable.

I'm not saying its correct but its true.

I am more appalled that the parent of a 5 year old child thinks that it's acceptable to give their child unrestricted use of a prescribed drug that could kill them if used incorrectly.

I am more appalled that the parent of a 5 year old child thinks that it's acceptable to give their child aunrestricted use of a prescribed drug that could kill them if used incorrectly.

I can see your point. Do secondary school kids get to keep their inhalers? Should they? Just wondered

My lad is 9, very responsible for his age, he's trusted at home with it, so why not at school.

Mainly because even though he is responsible....you still have some control over the situation....add a large number of your kids into that situation and that control diminishes

Mainly because even though he is responsible....you still have some control over the situation....add a large number of your kids into that situation and that control diminishes

Hmmmmmm, i suppose, but on the other hand, my lad doesn't have immediate access to his inhaler, it's not his fault if a scrote want' s to nick it and have a go is it.

He does not have unrestricted use and would not know how to use properly as it is in conjunction with a kids chamber.

The original point was that the teachers were advised it was in his bag if required. It has never previously been used at school. The inhaler never comes out of the bag - it is not passed around his class mates like a bag of sweets.

When I was at school (14 years ago now, showing my age) kids had their own inhalers with them. If they have an attack, they might need it at very short notice. I don't have asthma, but attacks do look pretty serious & the inhalers seem to calm them down. They at least need to have them in PE, if kids with asthma are allowed to do that now.

He does not have unrestricted use and would not know how to use properly as it is in conjunction with a kids chamber.

The original point was that the teachers were advised it was in his bag if required. It has never previously been used at school. The inhaler never comes out of the bag - it is not passed around his class mates like a bag of sweets.

How can you be sure of how your child behaves at school ? If he has restricted use of his inhaler, why put it in his bag so he can have unrestricted use ? If he is unable to use the thing without supervision why leave it with him at all ?

I am sure that you will have been advised about the strict drug policy that all schools adhere to when your child started.

I suggest you revisit the policy and deposit a spare inhaler for him with his teacher for use at school when necessary.

If he is needing to use the inhaler on a regular basis then maybe you should keep him at home until he is well enough to be at school at all.

Archived