Is teacher correct regarding inhaler?

I think at primary school the teachers kept the inhalers, but I can't be sure, I went to a small primary school just before the asthma boom & there was nobody in my class with asthma, just 1 kid in the year below. In secondary school there were 3 or 4 kids with asthma in my class of 30, they all kept their own inhalers.

My wife took our 5 year old to school on Monday. He suffers from Asthma ad has ann inhaler in a morning and night. Over the weekend he was more wheezie so had to have extra puffs in the day.

Arriving at school my wife advised the teacher he had been struggling a little bit and if he needed it his inhaler was in his bag.

Her reaction was as if he had crack cocaine or a knife if his bag. She took the bag and locked it away. the fact he had taken the same inhler to school every day was by the by.

Political correctness gone mad again.

So your objection is based on what exactly? That the bag was locked up?

Pretty irresponsible to have potentially dangerous drugs in a school and not lock them up don't you think?

Sigh, another non story / rant. Move along folks, nothing to see here. Spend your time on something more meaningful instead.

Not so.

The potential death of a 5 year old child who is being allowed free access to a prescribed and potentially dangerous drug is quite 'meaningful' in my world.:confused:

I think I remember when I was in primary school the teachers did keep the inhalers & that was back in the 80s. It's understandable with young kids & the teachers tend to keep a close eye on the young kids anyway, especially if they've got asthma, they're never that far away from getting their inhaler if they need it.

So yeah, non story. If your child has an attack & doesn't get their inhaler fast enough, then you can complain.

Asthma is quite common now, as I said, it was about 1 in 10 kids by the time I got to secondary school in the 90s & increasing. The teachers will be used to dealing with it.

How things change. I remember a substitute teacher go ape at me for using one in class (at primary school - aged 9 or 10) . Should have done it my own time apparently and confiscated it.

I had mine all through school. Not sure I could have done games without a ventoline stuffed in my pocket, and having to faff going to and from nursie for a couple of puffs would have been pointless.

Not sure about 5 year olds though, I didnt have it that young but certainly 9 or 10 upwards.

My wife took our 5 year old to school on Monday. He suffers from Asthma ad has ann inhaler in a morning and night. Over the weekend he was more wheezie so had to have extra puffs in the day.

Her reaction was as if he had crack cocaine or a knife if his bag. She took the bag and locked it away. the fact he had taken the same inhler to school every day was by the by.

Political correctness gone mad again.

Common practice in all primary schools. I can't imagine why you thought it appropriate to let a 5 year old have medication like that in his bag. What if his friends had got hold of it or seen him with it and asked for a go?

Guest sibon

Asthma is quite common now, as I said, it was about 1 in 10 kids by the time I got to secondary school in the 90s & increasing. The teachers will be used to dealing with it.

I've no link, so please don't ask for one. My experience is that far fewer kids carry inhalers these days, than in the early 90s. Probably because although athsma is unpleasant, it is also usually mild. Some kids need inhalers, but the medical profession seem to have developed a sense of proportion over this.

It appears that dyslexia has overtaken asthma as the middle class disease of choice:hihi:

Archived