Is teacher correct regarding inhaler?

I sympathise with the original post here. I've had asthma since I was a kid and always carried my inhaler with me, including at school. If somebody tried to take it from me I'd be pretty distressed, because then I'm dependent on that person to breathe! What if they aren't around when I need it?

Having read some of the posts here I can understand *why* teachers take inhalers from kids nowadays, but I still don't agree with it. It's another example of people covering themselves legally, at the expense of common sense. Two reasons: Firstly, if you want people to grow up to be responsible, you need to treat them like adults. Secondly, if you've got a life threatening condition for which you may need medication at a moment's notice, you should be the one responsible for administering that, nobody else.

I would argue that if a childs asthma is so unstable that they need to be welded to their inhaler then they are not well enough to be in school.

You think a 5 year old is ready to be treat like an adult? That they would understand the potential consequences of sharing their inhaler around???

I can understand why at primary school the teachers expect to look after such things.

Yeah, five is a bit young actually. Do they still take it off you in secondary school?

I would argue that if a childs asthma is so unstable that they need to be welded to their inhaler then they are not well enough to be in school.

The problem is that it's very unpredictable. I could have no symptoms for months, then walk past a pile of mouldy leaves and it's like "wheeeeeeeze"! I am down to a bare minimum of medication nowadays and my asthma is considered very under control, but I cold still have an attack at any moment, 'cause it's a complicated condition. So complicated in fact that they still don't really know what 'asthma' really is!

Firstly, if you want people to grow up to be responsible, you need to treat them like adults. Secondly, if you've got a life threatening condition for which you may need medication at a moment's notice, you should be the one responsible for administering that, nobody else.

At 5 years old? That was what the OP said their child was...

But this is precisely what the OP did - left the childs inhaler in his bag -presumably his bag would be left in the cloakroom with a pile of other bags. Not only is this dangerous for the child as the inhaler would not be available should he need it but also it is available for anyone would might care to search his bag.

Exactly, that's why I'm saying its a non-story. The OP was wrong, there is no need for any discussion on the matter. Anyone siding with the OP either doesn't have children, know about asthma or school procedures.

Exactly, that's why I'm saying its a non-story. The OP was wrong, there is no need for any discussion on the matter. Anyone siding with the OP either doesn't have children, know about asthma or school procedures.

But possibly more important than the price of tents.

What age would you say a kid should be 'trusted' with an inhaler at school? 'cause I certainly know about asthma, and although I wasn't diagnosed at five, I was by ten, and I *don't* agree that kids of that age should have it taken off them.

Archived