Is teacher correct regarding inhaler?

my rant over people who think they are better than others, thinkin they know better. why?? cant a read it???

Well Daven is a nurse (I believe), so she may know more about prescription medication than some others on here.

Your post was diffcult to read - not impossible, just hard work!

At my childs school she is not allowed to take anything unless prescribed. This is slightly OTT in my view as if I can sign a form to allow her to take prescribed medication then surely I should be able to sign a form for her to take iburpofen or paracetomol.

I think the issue here is that prescribed medication is evidently given under medical direction and review rather than just the parent's direction.

Example 2: same scenario but this time gave her two packets of ibuprofen in her lunch box. Not said anything to anyone but she took them after dinner. Result - no phone call and no pain for my daughter.

Nice to see you're dishonest enough to deceive the school. Is she in a primary or secondary school? Because in our school there'd certainly be a bit of a scene if we found painkillers in a child's lunchbox.

OP i see ya point, n everyone elses point aswel but, come on some of you, who do ya think you are??? half of you must think ya on a power trip or wana be in court or somert?????

example, davens coment (I am assuming that you are talking about a Ventolin inhaler ?

In the wrong hands it can cause a rapid heart rate and death.

I am baffled as to why you think it is acceptable to allow a 5 year old child to be responsible for a prescribed drug.) obviously the child knows its for them an it can save there live, i doubt the op is gona say go let everyone av a toot an try an kill them!! omg god people grow up, if my kid needed it at school an knew he/she knew wen to take it an to not let others use it, i wouldnt av a problem doin the same as the op. most of you need to get a life instead of sittin on here tryin to stick ya neb into other peoples lifes to make ya feel useful cos YA NOT!!!!

I love articulate, literate, considered responses on a forum. This is a perfect example of one that isn't. Ya.........

Nice to see you're dishonest enough to deceive the school. Is she in a primary or secondary school? Because in our school there'd certainly be a bit of a scene if we found painkillers in a child's lunchbox.

Did you read any of my other posts?

In my case, its a regular ear problem and Im faced with three choices. Either:

a) keep her off school due to mild ear ache, means I cant go to work and she misses school on a regular basis.

b) take her to school and take a chance she will be ok, knowing that I will most probably get a call mid afternoon after she had been suffering badly for about an hour and have to take her out.

c) take my chance and give her responsibility to take it herself.

The school has to think of any possible outcome & do as much as possible to safeguard themselves, I appreciate this. However, I also need to think of any possible outcomes and do as much as possible to safeguard my daughter and ensure she gets the education she needs and not to suffer pain unnecessarily.

However, I am interested what would happen at your school if you did find painkillers? As it happens I have done this once and I have said in my posts I am going to look at what I can do in future. What is your schools policy on painkillers - is it a blanket NO, what circumstances would you allow this to happen? If its paracetomol prescribed by a doctor with childs name on but just says to give as an when necessary would this be OK, would it be OK for a parent to then sign to say to give this for pain? Is there a specific policy that says "no over the counter medicines allowed in school"?

The Chavs. I fully sympathise with you it's tough situation for both parent & school, only suggestion is to get the paracetamol via prescription? I believe it's something to do with Health & Safety (maybe an expert on the matter could comment)

nothing to do with Health and Safety, nothing to do with the medicines act everything to do with ignorance.

i'll point out at this point that boarding school and various youth organisations have a policies which allow a variety of GSL and P medications to be administered by staff / supplied by staff for self administration to pupils/ students / young people ...

nothing to do with Health and Safety, nothing to do with the medicines act everything to do with ignorance.

i'll point out at this point that boarding school and various youth organisations have a policies which allow a variety of GSL and P medications to be administered by staff / supplied by staff for self administration to pupils/ students / young people ...

A quick google of GSL and P medications as didnt know what that meant and found that :

"there is no danger to health if the medicine is used without a prescriber’s supervision and the medicine is unlikely to be used incorrectly"

My lad is 9, very responsible for his age, he's trusted at home with it, so why not at school.

Schools have to be more careful than parents.A negligent parent may evade prosecution if an accident occurs but a teacher would be held culpable-teachers are expected to have higher standards than parents.

Archived