Where have the truckers gone?

In a nutshell (No Squirrel jokes please Mel)

Back in 2000, the public supported the truckers all the way until came the point that they couldnt buy bread, milk or petrol... then, the public turned on the truckers without realising that they were demonstrating for everybodys benefit.

Once the public support was lost, Tony Blair appeared to appease the public and reduced the price of fuel by a small amount while in fact, masking the real truth that he had threatened to revoke many major hauliers operators licenses if they didnt return to work.

I was going to say that maybe the hauliers have realised they can profit from the situation by keeping quiet and just adding more to the cost of their services, with a little bit for themselves and then say "sorry, but its the fuel price rises".

But this morning I was very surprised to hear that there was a protest and demonstration at the Stanlow Refinery at Ellesmere Port, Cheshire on Tuesday (it wasn't the first this year) and there's another planned for next week.

Considering the media asked the opinion of almost every car driver at every petrol station yesterday I don't understand why this hasn't had any coverage, local or national.

Considering the media asked the opinion of almost every car driver at every petrol station yesterday I don't understand why this hasn't had any coverage, local or national.

Because the media is largely controlled by the government maybe?

remember a few years ago when all the truckers and lorry drivers protested over the price of fuel? It must have gone up by more than 40p since, how come they're not protesting now?:huh:

2 reasons the truckers wont get involved any more,the first is they get relief on the fuel costs now and second,they got no backing just slagging the last time they put themselfs forward.

Because after their action the taxman had a close look at their books and the truckers generally had the frighteners put on them.

Are you inferring that the hauliers were/are fiddling the books? Surely if all is above board how could they be frightened by the tax man?

Archived