The use of mobile phones in hospital

When my hubby was in hospital we used mobiles to keep in touch with each other. Those tv/phone things they have at the sides of the beds are just ridiculously priced. A lovely idea i'll agree but why do they have to be so expensive? The staff also knew he had his phone and was using it and they didn't seem to mind, even up on HDU. So I think it's ok to use mobiles in hospital aslong as they're not annoying other patients.

The use of mobile phones don't interfere with the equipment. The hopsital would rather you use their overpriced system which costs per day. If mobile phones are switched to vibrate, just use them and take no notice of what the nurses tell you.

I would be really interested in peoples opinions about the use of mobile phones in clinical areas in hospitals.

I do wonder why people cannot live without mobile phones for a while. how many times are you not listening but hearing absolute drivel by folks on the phone. and if you are in hospital and there is a need for family to be aware of something surely the staff will contact the family.

As someone who works on a hospital ward - unfortunately mobile culture is such that the vast majority of those owning one cannot bear to be parted from it - even for a few hours in some cases.

I have no objection to texting if the 'phone is set on silent. What I DO take exception to are very loud and often offensive ring tones, people who won't end a conversation even when the nurse or doctor is standing and waiting to give treatment and the use of the camera and video facility on their 'phone. I actually witnessed a woman taking a photograph of a fellow patient who was in some distress and receiving treatment from nursing staff - I insisted on witnessing her erasing the photograph.

Personally, I think that they should be left at home for the sake of peace and dignity.

The use of mobile phones don't interfere with the equipment. The hopsital would rather you use their overpriced system which costs per day. If mobile phones are switched to vibrate, just use them and take no notice of what the nurses tell you.

The bedside telephone and TV is nothing to do with the NHS - the system is owned and run by a private company.

'Take no notice of what the nurses tell you' - speaks volumes.......

Archived