The use of mobile phones in hospital

In the US every hospital room has a landline phone at no cost to the patient, not used much anymore as most have mobiles now, also most hospitals have private rooms with full bathrooms so you can chat away :)

As someone who works on a hospital ward - unfortunately mobile culture is such that the vast majority of those owning one cannot bear to be parted from it - even for a few hours in some cases.

I have no objection to texting if the 'phone is set on silent. What I DO take exception to are very loud and often offensive ring tones, people who won't end a conversation even when the nurse or doctor is standing and waiting to give treatment and the use of the camera and video facility on their 'phone. I actually witnessed a woman taking a photograph of a fellow patient who was in some distress and receiving treatment from nursing staff - I insisted on witnessing her erasing the photograph.

Personally, I think that they should be left at home for the sake of peace and dignity.

well being an nhs worker myself i think the docktors should not be alowed to have there phones on when the are on a ward as it is ignerant but its allright for them but not for others i keep mine on if they can so can i

well being an nhs worker myself i think the docktors should not be alowed to have there phones on when the are on a ward as it is ignerant but its allright for them but not for others i keep mine on if they can so can i

Of course it's fine for them, they are the doctors. I know it's trendy to think "no one is better than anyone else" etc but I've got some bad news for you. Doctors are more important than others in a hospital. Can you guess why?

Having recently enjoyed a spell in the Northern General myself, I can say that I did use my mobile on a regular basis. However, the signal strength only allowed me to text and I did have a private room. As long as the signal doesn't interfere with medical equipment, I don't see a problem. I can appreciate that a shared ward is something of a different situation though and as others have said, use might be better restricted to communal areas.

As for Patientline/Hospedia... it IS expensive but for me personally, I couldn't have done without it. I had a private room because I was in isolation and being barrier nursed, meaning I only saw people when I was having my drip changed, medication dispensed etc. and even then they were fully gowned up and wearing masks! So, apart from the couple of hours a day I had visitors, I was shut away behind closed doors and desperately lonely/bored. I paid £12.50 for 4 days of TV, films, internet and outgoing phonecalls and would do it again without question.

In the US every hospital room has a landline phone at no cost to the patient, not used much anymore as most have mobiles now, also most hospitals have private rooms with full bathrooms so you can chat away :)

Do you have to pay extra for hospital treatment in the US ?

Well I hope to god you dont work in a pharmacy or prescribe any drugs for any patients. Your spelling leaves a lot to be desired, with spelling like this who knows what you would prescribe for a patient.

I did take a mobile in for my stay but for a genuine reason that the staff nurse understood and made an exception for. I only texted though, never spoke or had the ringer on. It may well have caused resentment among others in the bay that the rules were bent, but the alternative was having a room to myself which they probably would have resented even more. They'd have hated me much more if I'd been banned from using it, it was a lifeline.

How very hypocritcal of you, i'm sure other people had genuine reasons to themselves to have their phone with them.

So just to re-cap, its fine for you to take your's in as you think you have a genuine reason, but anyone else is being inconsiderate.....

If you have the correct insurance, I know which one I prefer.

On a recent visit to a hospital I saw signs scattered about along the lines of "please don't use your mobiles, they interfere with machines".

Whether that is actually correct or not I don't really care, I'd rather not risk being the person that causes problems in machines keeping someone alive etc. There is no doubt in my mind mobile phones have the potential to interfere with electronics, just have to put one near a speaker to hear it.

Archived