Petrol prices poll

has the price of fuel changed in last 24 hours  

23 members have voted

1. 1. has the price of fuel changed in last 24 hours

• gone down 1p
    • stayed the same
    • gone up 1p then dropped 1p within 24 hours

avoid the 2 petrol stations on greenland road nr darnall, both put their prices up and dont appear to have changed them, the cheeky gits at the shell garage have turned the sign off. that station is always 1-2p more expensive than the nearby shell at handsworth. daylight robbery, avoid using them both.

I was in this station about 3 weeks ago, i mentioned to the Indian chap that the netherthorpe shell was 3p cheaper and was curious why another shell can charge more, his reply was "every area was different" bit confusing i know :hihi:

No. You're better off using supermarket forecourts and collecting their point-things for rebates/offers on goods, that amounts to a better saving per litre when you do the maths.

When I lived in France near Luxemburg, it was worth going to Luxemburg just to fill up, as there was a €0.20 to €0.30 difference per liter. That is, so long as you were still within about 30kms from the border. After that, not really (depending on car MPG of course).

Or slightly farther than 30kms, if you were "buying fags on behalf" ;) and making a bit on the side from it (there was a difference of nearly €3 per 20). But I never did that of course.

Can see what you are saying but supermarket fuel is a big no no with me just based on quality.

I was in this station about 3 weeks ago, i mentioned to the Indian chap that the netherthorpe shell was 3p cheaper and was curious why another shell can charge more, his reply was "every area was different" bit confusing i know :hihi:

Every area is different, but they still used to charge 2p more per litre than the one opposite last year :hihi:

Can see what you are saying but supermarket fuel is a big no no with me just based on quality.

You do surprise me.

When I lived in Norfolk, there was a fuel depot about 15 miles from my house. Fed by the UK main fuel line system. It supplied (to tankers) petrol (various grades) diesel, kerosene and whatever other fuels were used.

All the tankers (irrespective of brand) filled from the same bulk fuel installation. There WAS only one BFI, so they couldn't have filled up anywhere else.

The Esso tanker delivered the 'Esso' fuel to the Esso garages, the Shell tanker delivered the 'Shell' fuel to the Shell garages etc.

Both came out of the same hole in the ground.

I also ran a filling station some years ago. If I go to a garage and there is a tanker on the forecourt, I go elsewhere.

1. The tanks in the garage are nearly empty, so the chance of picking up pollutants is high.

2. The tanks have just been filled and the fuel from the tanker will have stirred up the crap in the bottom of the tank.

You do surprise me.
I know this issue is constantly debated, as an urban myth.

But as I posted above (and in other threads), I have definitely had repeating combustion issues with Tesco petrol (with both 95Ron and 99Ron), but never with Shell (again with both 95Ron and 99Ron), the 2 pump 'brands' we used 95% of the time (always with the same car, Impreza '06 2.0)

Very noticeable every time it happened, with the same symptoms every time (judderring/flat power spots/loss of power under acceleration), and everytime shortly after filling up at Tesco Dinnington. To the extent that, in some instances, I would refrain from overtaking in case the power curve failed me half-way through the manoeuver. Neither Monty nor Europa were ever able to diagnose anything wrong with the engine/fuel management.

I know others locally (and not locally, via interposed Forums) who also experienced similar issues. Though we all drove Subarus or other Japanese cars, with engines that 'naturally' prefer the high octane stuff and may prove much more sensitive to variations in petrol quality than others.

Archived