Petrol prices poll

has the price of fuel changed in last 24 hours  

23 members have voted

1. 1. has the price of fuel changed in last 24 hours

• gone down 1p
    • stayed the same
    • gone up 1p then dropped 1p within 24 hours

I know this issue is constantly debated, as an urban myth.

But as I posted above (and in other threads), I have definitely had repeating combustion issues with Tesco petrol (with both 95Ron and 99Ron), but never with Shell (again with both 95Ron and 99Ron), the 2 pump 'brands' we used 95% of the time (always with the same car, Impreza '06 2.0)

Very noticeable every time it happened, with the same symptoms every time (judderring/flat power spots/loss of power under acceleration), and everytime shortly after filling up at Tesco Dinnington. To the extent that, in some instances, I would refrain from overtaking in case the power curve failed me half-way through the manoeuver. Neither Monty nor Europa were ever able to diagnose anything wrong with the engine/fuel management.

I know others locally (and not locally, via interposed Forums) who also experienced similar issues. Though we all drove Subarus or other Japanese cars, with engines that 'naturally' prefer the high octane stuff and may prove much more sensitive to variations in petrol quality than others.

I have a diesel powered ca\r and do over 40k miles/year..can't say I've noticed any difference in performance or economy between "branded" fuels or supermarket stuff..maybe diesel is different.

I have a diesel powered ca\r and do over 40k miles/year..can't say I've noticed any difference in performance or economy between "branded" fuels or supermarket stuff..maybe diesel is different.
Maybe it is and/or maybe diesel engines are more tolerant about quality variations, as I've since traded the petrol impreza for a diesel V50 (...from hooligan to tweedy in one easy step :hihi:) and we always fill up at Tesco, no issues (per my earlier post ;)).

At the same time, I've never had comparable issues with the 13-year old MX-5 (using the same petrol and stations), so I put it down to the combination of variations in Tesco petrol quality and (lack of-) tolerance of the Subaru engine for these.

Tesco's did have some major problems a while back concerning their fuel, i know for a fact that Shell fuel add stuff into them to make their fuel more cleaner and efficient, the more expensive v-power fuel is a better fuel (imo) because it gets you more miles out of it and as a taxidriver that makes sense.

End of the day people can put in what they choose but for me Shell are the cheapest and the best.

Archived